Question for Islanders about snorkling

myr seashell

Hi, I've read the many threads on the different snorkling locales and experiences, but I would like to ask a question - we're looking for a beach both to swim and snorkel from. We're not very good swimmers, and have little snorkling experience - so we would like calm water and pretty fish! I am comparing Sand Castle beach and Cane Bay. Does anyone have any feedback for us - are these good choices? We would really love to see some beautiful fish but aren't comfortable about swimming in really deep water. Thanks for any recommendations!

Thanks, StCroixMom - appreciate your information. Have you ever snorkled at Sand Castle on the beach? We were thinking of Buck Island snorkling, but we heard it was snorkling off a boat, and we're not great swimmers - so I think snorkling from a beach is more our speed - yet we are really hopeful we'll see some beautiful fish!

Usually good swimming beaches are sandy- bottomed; most good snorkelling beaches have corals and grasses to attract the sea life.

That being said, my Dad likes to swim at Cane Bay, although he grumbles about the "rocks" underfoot, and there is lovely snorkelling and diving to enjoy there.

If you take the trip to Buck, you will have good snorkelling on the East end, and a fabulous beach at the West end. The tour operators are wonderful about timid swimmers, they will stay with you and keep you safe.

Which ever you chose, do have a blast- and I hope the fishes are plentiful and stunning for your viewing pleasure!

Usually good swimming beaches are sandy- bottomed; most good snorkelling beaches have corals and grasses to attract the sea life.

That being said, my Dad likes to swim at Cane Bay, although he grumbles about the "rocks" underfoot, and there is lovely snorkelling and diving to enjoy there.

If you take the trip to Buck, you will have good snorkelling on the East end, and a fabulous beach at the West end. The tour operators are wonderful about timid swimmers, they will stay with you and keep you safe.

Which ever you chose, do have a blast- and I hope the fishes are plentiful and stunning for your viewing pleasure!

if we are thinking of having more chance to see sea life while we are snorkeling, which will you recommend, east end or west end? thanks.

and by the way it'll be much better for us to snorkel without taking any boat because our kid has sea sickness.

• 3 months later...

Both are nice beaches. Sand Castle Beach is usually super calm, a plus since you said you aren't a great swimming. Cane Bay is also usually calm but can be wavy at times. Both have snorkeling. At Sand Castle its closer to shore than at Cane Bay, you can basically swim out a bit and then swim parrallel to the shore and snorkel. There are various rocky outcrops and the fish hang out around and under those, some coral but mostly rocks - various types of fish to see.

--Islander

Archived