Pacific coast cruise on norwegian pearl

sherylnGa

• 1 month later...

thanks for all your replies. Based on your suggestions, I'll pack meds for seasickness just as a precaution and hope I never need them.

I reposted today asking for help with appropriate dress for the April sailing (something I've previously posted but didn't get a reply). When I cruise, I just naturally want to pack cruisewear but I don't think that's gonna work for this cruise. Sounds as if I'll need heavier clothing than what I normally pack for Caribbean cruises.

Also, someone mentioned Roll Call. I'm fairly new here and don't really know how to do that. I'm assuming there is a special thread for that and will look for it. We are traveling with three other couples and coming from the Atlanta area.

I know it's a totally different type of cruise than the Caribbean cruises I've taken and could be rainy, cool and even bumpy but I want to get excited about it because my husband planned this cruise. . I planned all the others we've taken.

shirl

thanks for all your replies. Based on your suggestions, I'll pack meds for seasickness just as a precaution and hope I never need them.

I reposted today asking for help with appropriate dress for the April sailing (something I've previously posted but didn't get a reply). When I cruise, I just naturally want to pack cruisewear but I don't think that's gonna work for this cruise. Sounds as if I'll need heavier clothing than what I normally pack for Caribbean cruises.

Also, someone mentioned Roll Call. I'm fairly new here and don't really know how to do that. I'm assuming there is a special thread for that and will look for it. We are traveling with three other couples and coming from the Atlanta area.

I know it's a totally different type of cruise than the Caribbean cruises I've taken and could be rainy, cool and even bumpy but I want to get excited about it because my husband planned this cruise. . I planned all the others we've taken.

shirl

Yep. Pack for Seattle, Vancouver, or Alaska weather. The Caribbean, it's not. But do bring some warm weather clothing because it's very changeable here. By the end of April, southern CA should be nice and warm, and some of the ports may have one of their first "warm ups" of the year. Think layers, layers, and more layers. That's pretty much how we dress year round.

Plan on some warm weather, particularly on the southern ports, but remember that San Francisco is known for cool days and fog. The entire Pacific coast of the US is a magnet for the marine layer, which means cool temps, mist/fog, and wet air. In fact, the marine layer was so thick at our house today that it might as well have been raining because everything is drenched; our high was only 59. OTOH, just 2 days ago it was sunny and 77 degrees as we sat in our lovely yard. Our forecast for later this week is 3 days of showers, at least on and off, whereas 2 weekends ago it was in the low 80s at Hearst Castle. (OT, for anyone who enjoys it, I highly recommend the self-guided gardens and grounds tour. It's new and my sister-in-law, who was visiting, really wanted to do it. It was the very first day they offered it; we loved it. Didn't hurt that the weather was perfect with a slight breeze to cool us whenever it got too hot. We can't stand guided tours, so this suited us perfectly.)

Later this month, it's likely to be substantially warmer, especially from Los Angeles up through CA's central coast and even San Francisco. Late April into May often brings us some of the best weather of the year. But on the ocean it will be cool and windy, no question, but not necessarily cold. Keep in mind that we do not have the benefit of the Gulf stream to warm the water, so our ocean temps, especially this time of year, are quite cool even in southern CA. On the central coast right now, our surface temps are in the low 50s and they never go over the high 60s (and that's a good year). The water gets colder as you go further north.

I think you'll love the ports and Vancouver is an amazing city.

beachchick

Sounds like you've pretty much got the responnses you need, but I'll throw in my 2 cents and say that you have a possibility of rough seas when out on the Pacific, so being prepared is always a good idea. I've also had some very smooth passages as well. The nice thing about the cruise you're going on is that the last couple of days in the Straits of Georgia should be smooth.

As others have said, having layers is always a good idea. San Francisco isn't always foggy, in fact you're very likely to have good weather in April/May

Archived