Laptops on Oasis

I'm thinking of taking my laptop on the cruise. This would be the first time I've done this. Is their any worry about leaving it unattended in your stateroom? I didn't think the safes were big enough to put them in. Also what is the charge for internet access from our stateroom. Any info would be helpful.

I'm thinking of taking my laptop on the cruise. This would be the first time I've done this. Is their any worry about leaving it unattended in your stateroom? I didn't think the safes were big enough to put them in. Also what is the charge for internet access from our stateroom. Any info would be helpful.

I am on the ship as we speak.

The laptop stays on my dresser and never gets touched. I have had zero worries about its security.

The rate is 55 cents per minute, but you purchase discounted packages. The cheapest discounted rate is about 38 cents per minute ($55).

No unlimited package.

Be careful when you logged off on the laptop. Make sure you are really 'off' . They made it so hard to tell. Otherwise the clock keeps ticking and won't stop even when your package ran out. It will just start to charge you the regular rate ($0.55/min) after that. Very scary.

We have a Verizon Hotspot card and in St. THomas, we just fired that up and surfed to our hearts content at usual domestic US rate.

Chari910,

I read where you bought a Verizon card. Do you have to be a Verizon customer to access this service?

No unlimited package.

Be careful when you logged off on the laptop. Make sure you are really 'off' . They made it so hard to tell. Otherwise the clock keeps ticking and won't stop even when your package ran out. It will just start to charge you the regular rate ($0.55/min) after that. Very scary.

We have a Verizon Hotspot card and in St. THomas, we just fired that up and surfed to our hearts content at usual domestic US rate.

I left mine on my dressing table the entire time and it was fine. The wifi was very spotty however. My in room keyboard did not work, so I was happy I brought my laptop. I did note every minute I was on to make sure my bill was correct. There was a few times when I logged off just because pages were taking too long to download and I didn't want to pay for that time. This was during the pre-inaugurals as well as the Labadee Extravaganza. I've heard the wifi is much better since then.

The Verizon Hotspot card is a back up for my business whenever our T1 service is down, we use it.

You have to pay a monthly fee for a period of contract time (mostly 2 years)

Ours is $60/mo for 5 GB of data...so it's really not worth it if you don't need it for your business. :(

Archived