Stone Island?

dmk

That is some great info Suzi, but I do have a couple more questions.

I was wondering if it would be a good beach location to take my 3 year old daughter? The main goal would be to splash in the water and play in the sand and maybe rent a Seadoo.

I would prefer to skip the tours, but it sounds like the hassles you got getting there on your own may be a bit too much, especially for a three year old. Your story reminded me of our day in Antigua on our last cruise. Rude cabbies and high pressure vendors. Any thoughts?

Bill

:D

It took 5 minutes from the time we got off the shuttle to get to the gate at the port and another 7 minutes walking to the ferry. It was a 5 minute boat ride across the channel to Stone Island and another 10 minute stroll to the Lety's restaurant on the beach.

It really wasn't a problem, but then again, I did not go with a three year old in tow. In November, the beach was not crowded. It's in a protected bay, with very little wave action. I was able to wade out a hundred feet or more in wait deep water. But the restaurant owner said the beach is subject to seasonal changes, as are ALL beaches. Some times there is more beach, sometime less. We were there in November, 2004, and there was a lot of beach.

If I were to go there again (and I am with my volleyball group in 2006) I wouldn't hesitate about taking kids. I don't have a very good impression of Mazatlan; the times I have visited, I found it to be a large, dirty city. I have never cared for it, and would take no issue if our ship didn't call there. That's why it's the place our group decided to host a volleyball tournament - no one in our group who has been there before wanted to tour the city or do any shore excursions. In fact, we seriously thought about remaining on the ship and hosting our tournament there. But that was ebfore I found Stone Island.

Stone Island is not like beaches you typically see inthe Caribbean. But there was a quaintness to it - a kind of "out in the boonies" feel to it. It was also close. It took us all of 30 minutes to pack up our stuff on the beach, walk to the ferry, ride back, and walk back to the pier. This alone was a major consideration in selecting it for our tournament.

I know there are people who are very much turned off by rude and aggressive locals, but if you want to get to Stone Island, you'll have to get through this gauntlet at the port. Did it ruin my day? Absolutely not. Now that you know what you would be in for, I'm guessing it won't come as such a surprise and in turn, make the trek a little easier for you.

Good luck!

Suzi

Thanks for the update. This is going to be a definite stop for us in May and it helps to have an idea how long a walk it will be.

And after reading all the reviews on the food at Victors, my mouth is already watering for the shrimp and onion rings.

Enjoy the beach volleyball.

Cheers.

BuckGilbert, I don't mean to confuse you. We have a timeshare at El Cid and we also have cruised the Mexican Riviera twice. The first time cruising about 6 years ago, I found Randi's name on an Fodors message board. Then 2 years later we bought our timeshare at El Cid. We were in Maz last summer also.

Archived