REVIEW: Carnival Victry 2/7/10 -2/14/10 Southern Caribbean

Dirkgun

That was a fantastic review!!! Hey, how was Coki beach in St. Thomas? We're sailing this sunday and always do a coki beach treck. Some have stated the area has gotten bad, even unsafe.

What are your thoughts. We know to use caution, but there are other options out there for beaches if it is seedy. So... what is the story?

That was a fantastic review!!! Hey, how was Coki beach in St. Thomas? We're sailing this sunday and always do a coki beach treck. Some have stated the area has gotten bad, even unsafe.

What are your thoughts. We know to use caution, but there are other options out there for beaches if it is seedy. So... what is the story?

We felt it was great. It was a little different than the first time we were there (but that was back in '93) but still the same general idea... I know there was that shooting that tragically killed a girl that was on the Victory but, that seems like a wrong place wrong time kind of a thing... no rhyme or reason to it just bad timing. We saw nothing that made us scared. We also came early in the morning to beat the crowds.... did our snorkeling and swimming then went and toured the island after lunch. It was a great time, the vendors were all pretty friendly and not overbearing. When we go back I plan on going there again. Enjoy your cruise. I am so jealous. :D

Pictures of Coki Beach....

IMG_0061.jpg

IMG_0062.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

Watch out for the wild killer chickens....lol. It is a fun beach with all the trimmings but just not as uptight as Magens bay IMHO. :rolleyes:

Thanks for this review. I am going on this cruise and I am so excited to see some reviews about the ship and cruise. I really enjoyed your review. It looks like you had a great time. ;)

Thank you. Yes it was a great time. Enjoy your cruise ... when do you go? Also ... Welcome to Cruise Critic. :)

LOve the D10! We got ours and havnt looked back since. Had ours down close to 40' without issues yet. Were you using the underwater setting or set in auto?

Yeah I really like it. It is a very versatile camera. I bought it just before we went so this was for the most part the trial run. I know there were times that I had it in just auto and others that it was in underwater mode. Problem is I can't remember which was which....lol. Even in auto it seems to take good pics. Certainly better than the disposeables or the waterproof cases with a regular camera in them. I have used both.

• 2 months later...
Yeah I really like it. It is a very versatile camera. I bought it just before we went so this was for the most part the trial run. I know there were times that I had it in just auto and others that it was in underwater mode. Problem is I can't remember which was which....lol. Even in auto it seems to take good pics. Certainly better than the disposeables or the waterproof cases with a regular camera in them. I have used both.

Dirkgun, nice review.

Well done.

Regards,

OSJ

• 3 weeks later...
We are thinking about this cruise... can you tell me the best place/places to stay before or after a cruise there? Also what else is there to do there in San Juan? Thanks for the help.:p

When are you looking at going? The last two times I have cruised out of San Juan were in the winter months last year in February and the year before in mid January. The weather is great this time of year since it is the dry season in the Carribean. In January they have a festival called the San Sebastian street festival... it reminds me of a tiny "Carnivale" with parades and costumes. We lucked out and found it.... or more honestly just happened on it. But it was a great immersion into the local population and culture. Wow do they love to party!!!! In 2009 we stayed precruise at Marriot Miramar in condado just east of old town San Juan (5 min cab ride) $.50 public bus ride. Then post cruise at the Marriot Isla Verde resort... this was a great place. We got screamin deals on these because at the time my brother worked for Marriot ($35 and $69 per night respectively) My all time favorite hotel there would be the El Caribe Hilton it has great resort amenities and bus access along with great views of the water. In my opinion if you just use San Juan as a boarding point you miss the whole experience. You really need to enjoy the city and the Island if you can. Let us know how your trip goes. :)

I had to come back to your review...I remember reading it before we left and how helpful it was!

You're an inspiration...we want to have repeated Victory trips too!

Thank you that was very nice. I love the reviews it lets you live the trip all over again. Plus you get to see other perspectives. That train ride on St Kitts look like it would be great.... Oh darn I guess we will have to go back :cool::D

Awesome review, Dirkgun. We're taking our two sons (one is named Dirk!) and their four teenagers on the Victory on Feb 13. Carnival has turned the Dominica stop into an "at sea day" (darn), but the rest of the itinerary is the same. We're only a little over two weeks away from setting sail and are getting very excited. This will be my husband's and my 10th cruise, but it will be our sons and grandkids first. They'll be so thrilled. Thanks again for your wonderful review. We have visited these islands before, but remembering them all over again was great! :)

Linda from No. Illinois

Awesome review, Dirkgun. We're taking our two sons (one is named Dirk!) and their four teenagers on the Victory on Feb 13. Carnival has turned the Dominica stop into an "at sea day" (darn), but the rest of the itinerary is the same. We're only a little over two weeks away from setting sail and are getting very excited. This will be my husband's and my 10th cruise, but it will be our sons and grandkids first. They'll be so thrilled. Thanks again for your wonderful review. We have visited these islands before, but remembering them all over again was great! :)

Linda from No. Illinois

Thanks for the nice comment. So that will be almost a year to the day from when we went. That is so great for you guys. I know my parents loved our cruise... it was their first and they loved it but they also loved spending so much time with their two oldest grandkids (my DD 20 and DS 18) it was a great bonding time. You will have an awesome time. I am very jealous. Plus it is very cold here in Utah right now. :eek::D

We're having a MAJOR BLIZZARD right now, as I'm sure you've heard on the news - can't hardly miss it, it's so big. :mad:

Linda

I am guessing that the blizzard is actually ;)hitting right NOW!!!! :eek:

Yes, CARNIVAL Take US AWAY!!!!:)

We're having a MAJOR BLIZZARD right now, as I'm sure you've heard on the news - can't hardly miss it, it's so big. After it's gone, we get to have -10 temps. We're SO anxious to get outta here!!!:mad:

Linda

That is what the news is saying.... be safe and stay warm. It is down to 5 degrees here right now plus a howling wind that takes the wind chill down to -20 BRRRRR! :eek: Would love to be in San Juan right now....:rolleyes::D

Great review!!! Thanks.

Thanks for the nice comment. It really is great to write one. Really makes you think about the experience you had. :D

We're having a MAJOR BLIZZARD right now, as I'm sure you've heard on the news - can't hardly miss it, it's so big. After it's gone, we get to have -10 temps. We're SO anxious to get outta here!!!:mad:

Linda

It looks like you guys really got slammed by this storm. I hope it clears for your trip.

We got hit with around 15" of "thunder snow" - thunder and lightening during a blizzard is something else. That was on top of all the snow we'd already received in the last couple of weeks. At least we were safe in our homes and didn't lose electricity (as many did), nor were we stranded in our cars (as many were). I was amazed at the pictures of Lake Shore Drive in Chicago (100 miles east of us). This is the first time Lake Shore Drive has ever been closed down by the weather. We're pretty well shoveled out now and are starting to round up our "summer weather cruising clothes" - just one more week to go. I know it'll be great! :)

Linda

We got hit with around 15" of "thunder snow" - thunder and lightening during a blizzard is something else. That was on top of all the snow we'd already received in the last couple of weeks. At least we were safe in our homes and didn't lose electricity (as many did), nor were we stranded in our cars (as many were). I was amazed at the pictures of Lake Shore Drive in Chicago (100 miles east of us). This is the first time Lake Shore Drive has ever been closed down by the weather. We're pretty well shoveled out now and are starting to round up our "summer weather cruising clothes" - just one more week to go. I know it'll be great! :)

Linda

Yes those "thunder snow storms are something.... we have had a few over the years.... kind of eery with the snow falling and thunder and lightning going on. Have a great cruise. :D

Linda

I woke up to that last week... and I have never ever heard of such a thing... I thought I was dreaming!!! Thunder.. of all things! The parade of snowblowers yes, but not thunder!

Okay.. I just spent the last wee bit of time reading through every post from the begining.. this has been wonderful and entertaining! We leave during March break on our third cruise, but our first with the kiddies (10&5).... your post has actually helped us formulate our excursions a bit more.. Thanks again.. it was very entertaining!

I woke up to that last week... and I have never ever heard of such a thing... I thought I was dreaming!!! Thunder.. of all things! The parade of snowblowers yes, but not thunder!

Okay.. I just spent the last wee bit of time reading through every post from the begining.. this has been wonderful and entertaining! We leave during March break on our third cruise, but our first with the kiddies (10&5).... your post has actually helped us formulate our excursions a bit more.. Thanks again.. it was very entertaining!

Thank you for the nice comments. Ooohhhhh to be back in San Juan right now..... in fact it is the one year anniversary of our cruise on the victory (even though we left on Sunday last year) today. :rolleyes: Instead I am here in Utah with a cold front blowing through and getting sideways snow (including the people down the street's garbage cans) :eek: