Travelex vs. TravelGuard

colemkr

Anyone have any experience with either. My TA has offered Travel Guard, but I have also read on these boards about Travelex. Travelex through Insuremytrip.com is about $60 cheaper and looks to be about the same coverage.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Kristin

Anyone have any experience with either. My TA has offered Travel Guard, but I have also read on these boards about Travelex. Travelex through Insuremytrip.com is about $60 cheaper and looks to be about the same coverage.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Kristin

Whether or not it's the same coverage depends on which Travel Guard plan your TA is offering. For example, there's some huge differences between the Travel Guard Protect Assist plan and their Cruise Tour & Travel Plan and their Cruise Guard plan.

If you could find out the exact plan you're comparing to it would be helpful.

The Travel Guard CT&T plan has a much higher emergency evacuation benefit ($300,000 vs $50,000) but if you're just going to the Caribbean or Mexico the Travelex plan should be more than adequate.

The CT&T plan also lets you cancel for ANY reason and be covered for up to $250 in cancellation penalties. But if you'd only cancel for the reasons that the Travelex plan covers that's kind of a non-issue.

So, in general the CT&T plan has got some better coverages but probably not enough to justify the higher cost.

I chose travelex plus after comparing numerous plans (have also used travel guard twice previously). Travelex offered flight delay coverage and also offered coverage for kids at no extra charge (hence it was cheaper for us).

Read the fine print about flight delay/cancellations in the plans you are looking at. Some only offer coverage if ALL flights were delayed for 24,36,48 hours, etc. So if your evening flight is delayed due to bad weather and the next flight you can get is the next day and too late to make the boat, tough luck. The policy I got with Travelex Plus has a five hour trip delay/missed connection policy.

Thanks for the info. I think we are going to go with the Travelex Lite package after reading the above and the price difference. I really just want it if one of us were to get sick or a family member. For the extra money the Travel Guard just wasn't worth it.

Thanks.

Kristin

Archived