Israel to Petra, Jordan?

GARNERSINMH

We are looking at a Autumn 2011 cruise that has two stops or a possible overnight in Israel. We are very interested in visiting Petra if it's possible. (It's only this far on the map! Hahahahaha!) The cruise lines we're shopping do not have a Jordan excursion, so is there an option of a private tour? Has anyone tried it or is it just not possible? Thanks for any insight!

We went to Petra as part of a land tour to Israel and would not do it as part of a cruise excursion. Crossing the Jordan border can and often does take a long time. Then once across it is a long drive to Petra. Petra, which is an outstanding attraction, takes a good 5 to 6 hours to see. Then you would have to drive back to the Jordan border and hope it would not take too long to get through. We spent 2 nights in Jordan in order to see Petra and that was exhausting. Think you would be better to plan a land trip to Israel and do a side trip to Petra rather than trying to do it as part of a cruise. Autumn is a great time to go as is spring. Very, very hot in summer. Hope this helps. Steve

The cruise we've just returned from goes round the Red Sea every week in winter. It spends a night in Aqaba, which is the nearest point for Petra. This Feb, it was actually snowing on the mountains, and the snow plough was out! But, as Travel25 says, it can get very hot in summer- it was pretty warm for the rest of the tour round the R.Sea, just the desert hills that were cold.

I think the fact that the cruise ship is not offering a tour to this major site should set off alarm bells about its feasability! You are not mentioning where your cruise ship will dock. If it is something like Tel Aviv, Haifa or Ashdod: No Way José! Far too far! A complicating factor is the Allenby Bridge only being open during certain hours of the day. If it is Eilat, you can maybe think about it, but it is still a hell of a long way. The time at the border can be substantial, for security reasons both ways and since you have to buy a visa for Jordan there (don't leave your passport on the ship!).

We did a land trip in Israel and the country is bigger than you think.

We were there at the end of October and it was still hot, hot, hot. Why not enjoy Israel, they have awsome sites. I have been to at least 50 countries in the world and Jerusalem is my favorite number one city of all times, and I am not even religious or anything.

Thank you for the first hand input.......I was afraid I'd get the responses you gave. Sigh. I guess we'll just have to go back another time! Since you're all so helpful, any suggested places to see in Israel? Right now, the itineraries we're looking at have two stops on the coast. The little past experiences I have led me to want to have a private tour, rather than a ship's tour which can be like herding sheep. Any suggestions on area tour companies? Thank you all again.

Thank you for the first hand input.......I was afraid I'd get the responses you gave. Sigh. I guess we'll just have to go back another time! Since you're all so helpful, any suggested places to see in Israel?

1. Jerusalem: like I said an absolute must-see

2. Akko, also spelt Acre, near Haifa: Crusaders' fortified town with an unusual mix of Arabs and Jews.

3. Jaffa near Tel Aviv: very old historic town

4. Caesarea: Roman excavations

Tel Aviv is a bustling modern city but no historical sites. We also went to Lake Tiberias, is nice but is not an absolute highlight if you only have 1 or 2 days. Masada and the Dead Sea is too far. Because of the security situation at our time of travel, we did not visit Nazareth so can't comment on that.

• 4 weeks later...

My husband and I are going to be in Israel in October for about 2.5 weeks. We are both so excited. I used AVITOUR'S for the whole 2.5. He is going to be our private guide/driver and spend the whole time with us. I have called and talk to him and his assistant on the phone. Robyn his assistant and I have become email buddies and I am so excited to meet them both. Their pricing was very good compare to a lot of other tour companies I interview. I take this very seriously because they can make or break your trip. If you need any other information you can email me at dicrepe2@aol.com.

Archived