Ikelite JVC Picsio GC FM1 Housing and Camera Package

ScubaCruiser54

After doing a little research on wetpixel.com and scubaboard, I went for the flip HD and Ikelite housing instead of the JVC. The JVC sounds better, 1080 versus 720 HD, 8 MP still images, but both sites recommended the Flip. I just got it in the mail last week, taking it down to the north Florida springs area this Saturday.

If you get a chance to get it wet and take some video, could you let me know how the video turns out. One of my dive buddies is a video afficianado, but he has a $5000 set up and it is great. I don't want to sink that much into a setup that will be used 4-10 times a year. Thus the lower grade camera setups..... I know lights are a must, so I am of a mind to drop $600-1000 for the light(s). But if the camera won't perform, the lights are meaningless.

Thanks

If you are only doing 4-10 times a year look at the sealife dc10 or dc1000, the whole kit with external flash is only about $1000, the camera takes great pictures both in and out of the water. The contorls are easy to use in the housing (with 7mm gloves) and you can adjust Fstops and such with a little prcatice. It even comes with a nice case and (underwater only) wide angle lens. It is real nice for recreational/first decent underwater camera.

If you are only doing 4-10 times a year look at the sealife dc10 or dc1000, the whole kit with external flash is only about $1000, the camera takes great pictures both in and out of the water. The contorls are easy to use in the housing (with 7mm gloves) and you can adjust Fstops and such with a little prcatice. It even comes with a nice case and (underwater only) wide angle lens. It is real nice for recreational/first decent underwater camera.

I think the OP is asking about a video camera, not a still camera.

I am going to Crystal River this weekend with the Flip camcorder, if I get anything presentable I'll post it. In 2 weeks, we will be going on the Carnival Glory, so I'll try to post something for it also.

As for still camera's, I'm not into the Sealife very much. I bought one and returned it within a week due to poor picture quality. I have a Sea and Sea DX-1g point and shoot that does a great job, albeit a little slow when capturing raw shots, but it is amazing for macro! I also have a DSLR Canon 50d that I am trying to grow into!

Archived