Seattle-Vancouver Train/Hotel Questions

stace11

Hello all.

I've tried to do a few searches on this topic and have found scattered information, but nothing that answers all of my questions. Hopefully you all can help. Here's the situation:

Flying to Seattle the day prior to ship departure (11:00am arrival in Seattle) on Summit from Vancouver in September. Taking the train from Seattle to Vancouver the day of ship departure (7:45am train trip). After the cruise we are taking the train back to Seattle on the day of debarkation (train gets to Seattle around 10:00pm) and we are flying out of Seattle the following night on the redeye flight. This will give us some time to explore Seattle both before the cruise and after. Yes, I know we should've scheduled some time in Vancouver, but it wasn't possible using frequent flyer tickets on the airline.

Anyway, my question is in regard to hotels in Seattle. Based on this itinerary, in what part of Seattle should we get a hotel? Obviously we will need to get to/from the airport at some point, so a hotel with an airport shuttle would be good, but it looks like only those very close to SeaTac provide a shuttle. Is it best to stay downtown and take a cab to the airport? Any specific hotel recommendations? We will probably use Priceline, so a general area recommendation would be ok too.

Thanks for the advice.

stacey

Hi Stacey,

Definitely stay downtown, on the waterfront or near Seattle Center. Sea-Tac is a long way from anything you would want to visit (30 minute cab ride or more). The Edgewater Hotel is nice on the waterfront and near where NCL and X ships dock. It's been a while since we've stayed up there and nothing else is coming immediately to mind. I really like this site to check out hotels: www.tripadvisor.com. Used it recently to identify hotels in London and New York. Was not disappointed with the picks I made based on the member reviews.

Good luck! :)

Joe

The train station in Seattle is downtown, close to the baseball stadium. Trying to think of the new statium's name, Safeco Field maybe. Anyway, I'd stay downtown for sure and just take a cab back to the airport. Grayline used to have a shuttle to all the downtown hotels for about 6 each way. Not sure whether that still exists or not. The only hotels I can think of with shuttles are over by SEA-TAC but that's not really near where you want to be.

absolutely stay away from the Sea-Tac Airport hotel zone, as mentioned, there's NOTHING there. The Edgewater, as mentioned, is a plush place, on the water, practically next to the dock -- there's a new Marriott across the street from the dock as well -- Even though you don't need Seattle port access, this is also the best area for walking to attractions such as the Space Needle, the aquarium, state ferries, (uphill to) Pike Place Market ... If waterfront hotels are a bit too spendy, there are motel zones (Comfort Inn etc.) around Seattle Center (which is where the Space Needle is), not within comfortable walking distance of the waterfront and Pike Place, though. If you do go Priceline, downtown isn't too bad - you may wind up someplace within walking distance (downhill to get there) of waterfront & Pike Place -- TR

We took the train from Vancouver to Seattle and loved the ride. We did get into Seattle late (almost 45 minutes) which the train staff was not uncommon. We had an early morning flight and were VERY thankful we had booked a hotel near the airport and could grab their shuttle in the morning. If you have a late flight I guess downtown would be ok. But we were so tired from disembarking in Vancouver, sightseeing there during the day and getting into Seattle late, that we we ready to catch our flight and get home.

Dave and Elaine

Archived