Plitvice Lakes to Dubrovnik by bus or private driver?

Hello, all. I'm looking to spend about 6 nights in Croatia next June, 2011. This will be after a 13-day journey through Egypt and Jordan, which is why I don't have anymore time to spend than that. 3 weeks is my max.

My first plan was to just spend 5 days in Dubrovnik, taking only day trips, exploring the old town at a leisurely pace, and staying in the same place each night. But then I read about Plitvice Lakes, and I can't get it out of my head. I understand the public transport options are not the best, but I did read about a bus you can take that runs about a 10-hour route. Is this recommended? Does anyone know of a private driver that might give me a good deal on a one-way ride?

My current plan is to fly from Cairo to Zagreb, get a ride to the Lakes and spend two nights there. I figure that is the easier route, so I'm not worried about that one yet. (Although, if someone has a suggestion for a good private driver to pick me up from Zagreb airport and deliver me to Plitvice, I'm all ears!) I suppose I could then return to Zagreb and just fly to Dubrovnik, but I thought a one-way trip by road would be a nice sightseeing experience.

The logical choice would probably be to rent a car. I don't relish that idea... will be traveling solo and just am uncomfortable driving in Europe without at least a navigator to help me. Plus, I can't drive a stick. Aren't most rental cars manual transmission?

Sorry for all the jumbled thoughts. Thanks in advance for any advice or opinions!

Sandi

I don't really have an answer to your questions but just wanted to say that several years ago we did a more extended version of the trip you're planning. We rented a car in Zagreb and drove to Durovnik, spending one or more nights in Plitvice NP, Trogir and Hvar. You would be able to drive from Plitvice to Dubrovnik in one fairly long day.

Plitvice is unique and beautiful and definitely worth a visit.

Re driving, Zagreb is like any other city, I don't recall it being that difficult to drive from and after getting outside the city the roads were reasonably well marked.

If you were going to spend a night in Zagreb, you might check with the hotel about arranging a driver to and from Plitvice, then flying from Zagreb to Dubrovnik. If you stay in Zagreb, the Regent Esplanade is a beautiful hotel.

Thank you both for the advice. I have tried to find sample airfare from Zagreb to Dubrovnik on Orbitz but it will not accept the search query. If flying is cheaper than driving, and not an especially scenic drive, then that is an easy decision.

Sometimes you just need to type things out and let other people have a look, comment, give opinions, to make a solid plan. lol Thanks again.

Now, if anyone can recommend me someone to hire for the airport pickup at Zagreb and drive to Plitvice with return, I would appreciate the personal recommedation. I have gotten some great private guide tips here for several different destinations in South America and they were all great!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived