Antarctica, Falklands/Malvinas, South Georgia.

As no one else has given you a reply I will attempt to do so.

Antarctica is summed up in one one - Awesome, but perhaps I am biased as I have known it over 50 years. To put it into context many Americans on my last trip said - "Alaska has got nothing like this"

Falkland Is are a moorland type landscape with lots of history in Stanley. Good wildlife outside of town.

South Georgia is the ultimate wildlife experience amid majestic scenery & history here as well, Shacleton & Whaling etc. I would love to go back again & again!

There may be a problem with cruises to Falklands/South Georgia next season as Argentina is turning the screw again in responce to Falklands oil drilling. They say all ships going there via Argentina will require their permission & are trying to get the backing of other SA govts

What did you like most and why.

It's such a huge topic it's hard to know where to start without getting sucked into writing a huge essay!

The different itineraries give you different areas to visit, and the time of year you go has a big difference too.

If you're looking at Falklands+South Georgia+Antarctic Peninsula then it's usually either November, January, or Feb/March. One of the big drawcards for South Georgia is the wildlife, and this changes as you progress through the season (remember, November = Spring).

Last time I did the Antarctic Peninsula I went all the way down to Marguerite Bay below the Antarctic Circle, but the cruises that visit South Georgia tend to not go much further south than the Lemaire Channel. So I saw things (scenery and wildlife) that you wouldn't see. But then there was plenty of stunning stuff on the more-northerly bits as well, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Unless you have some issue (e.g. health/fitness) that limits your exploration, I think overall minke got it right. They said "awesome", although I'd say STUNNING. I loved it ALL (OK, so I got a bit queasy one day, but that passes).

So far my experience of the Falklands and South Georgia has been vicarious, through the photos, videos, and stories of friends who've been there. In November 2010 I'm going back to Antarctica, but this time also to South Georgia and the Falklands, so I will know for myself. I'm expecting more wildlife (not that Antarctica was short of it) but overall I'm expecting the same impression: Awesome!

Obviously your choice of cruise operator can also affect your enjoyment of the different areas. Starting with the fact that big (>100 passengers) ships can't land everyone at each site in Antarctica (hmmm - do the same restrictions apply in South Georgia?).

What did you like most and why.

Thank you very much for input.

We are just returned from this itinerary, and we liked everything about all of it. The peninsula had the stunning icebergs and views, South Georgia blew us away with the wildlife as well as the Falklands. Each area offers its own spectacular views and experiences. We will be posting a review soon as we just got back one day ago.

Stay tuned.

Rc

dpro - very good comprehensive review, enjoyed it. Your experience with Hutigruten & Fram mirrored mine in dec 06 on Nordkapp. sorry you had some rough weather but you did get to SG that I would haved loved to do.

Archived