Sauna Van Egmond

in Haarlem, North Holland, about 30 minutes from Schiphol or Amsterdam. Anybody been there, and if so, any comments? We're thinking about going there pre-cruise, an experience not available in the US.

in Haarlem, North Holland, about 30 minutes from Schiphol or Amsterdam. Anybody been there, and if so, any comments? We're thinking about going there pre-cruise, an experience not available in the US.

My wife and I have never been to this particular sauna, but we do use a number in Germnay where we have family. A popular Trip planning review website has lots of reviews about this one and it sounds very much like all the ones we have used. If you can handle the nudity, then you'll have a very relaxing time.

There is a very nice place in Amsterdam, not as extensive as Haarlem though but we sue it every time we go, its called Sauna Deco. Steam Room, Sauna, plunge pool, relaxations areas, professional masseurs and a small outdoor courtyard area (very small) but OK for two hours.

Thanks for the reply. I've been to the other site. Since we're staying at Schiphol for a couple of days, Sauna Van Egmond is as convenient as Sauna Deco, and based on that other site, the one in Haarlem appears to be much more elaborate (#1 attraction in Haarlem) than the one in Amsterdam. We know "the rules" which adds to the "experience" not readily available in the USA. We're ready to "go with the flow".

But maybe not saunas like those two saunas! ;)

There is absolutely nothing wrong with these two places. DH and I worked in 4 and 5 star hotels in Haarlem and Amsterdam, and sent our guests to these places.

Are you refering to the kind of sauna "friends of Dorothy" would go to? Then there are certainly more "exciting" places I can tell you about. This thread would probably not live very long though after that....

Didn't know for sure what "friends of Dorothy" referred to, but if you're asking me the question, the answer is a definite NO. From all my research, this looks like a place my wife and I would be very comfortable in, despite of not belonging to any "group" or "organization", etc.

Didn't know for sure what "friends of Dorothy" referred to, but if you're asking me the question, the answer is a definite NO. From all my research, this looks like a place my wife and I would be very comfortable in, despite of not belonging to any "group" or "organization", etc.

Well, if you would be going with the friends of Dorothy, you would certainly not be going with your wife, rather with your boyfriend (or she with her girlfriend). The recommended places are just normal saunas to take your wife to, where no "interesting" activities take place.

Darn...this forum is complicated if you are not allowed to use certain words or become too explicite...

I've done considerable research, trying to make the most of our first river cruise and 2nd trip to Europe. If you read all of the comments on TA's site, Saune Van Egmond is better than spending time in Amsterdam. We'll do that anyway, having already reserved tickets for the Anne Frank House, with Van Gogh and other museums on tap, along with Keukenhof, which should be great in later April. My purpose was to make sure to "dot all my "I"s and cross all my "T"s .... thanks for the "votes of confidence " this board provides.

Archived