Have to stops in Greece?

GARNERSINMH

We are looking at the Eastern Med in Sep or Oct 2011. The big gotta on this cruise is Egypt, with Greece right behind. The Egypt stops narrow down our options some, but we're hoping for more options as schedules are released. If it comes down to choosing, which Greece stops are HAVE to's and why? Thanks for all the help, in the past, present and future!

As steamboatin has said, they're all potentially excellent. But I suppose that if I had to choose just one, it would be Mykonos. Assuming you're there for a day, you can either got to the beach for the day, or do Delos in the morning and wander round the town in the afternoon.

Santorini and Athens are superb places, and we've had some great visits, to Santorini especially. But there are flies in the ointment in both of those instances. In the case of Santorini it's the whole issue of the cablecar, to get up to Fira town: if there are a large number of people (e.g. anymore more than one big ship) you can wait hours, to get both up and down. Similarly in Athens the obvious excursions are the Acropolis & the Plaka, and the former especially can be unbelievable busy.

That said, there can be problems at Mykonos: it's not unknown for the call there to be cancelled because of high winds. But that's more likely in high summer, surprisingly; we've been there three times without problems. I love the island.

Archived