Live Onboard the Jewel...

mks, the answer to your question is easy, Princess. What is very puzzling is your statement about how people can pay so much for a vacation then find fault. Yes some cruises still cost a lot, if an inferior product is offered, why become blind, speak up who wouldnt. You forget RCI charges for ice cream also. Princess now offers included ice cream as does RCI. As least Princess changes their menu daily and there is no burger charge. I really have not read about anyone lately expecting a speciality restaurant to be included.
As we have all found out lately, even Silverseas has its faults charging extra to get on the ship. None is perfect, some just offer that little extra to make it a cut above RCI,

Jewel 07/15 [img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;7;15;17;0;00&timezone=GMT+0000[/img]
Golden 09/12 [img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;9;12;23;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]

jstducky: How in the world did you win the cruise??? [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img] Do you have any lucky lottery numbers? [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
Like most everyone else, I'm having a hard time waiting for the remaining days to pass before the cruise.

The comments are running hot and cold about cost cutting, etc. Like most everything else, there are good and bad points. I don’t cruise enough to be able to venture an opinion. I just plan to enjoy myself and not worry.
[img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

<MARQUEE direction=left width=100%>[B] Jewel of the Seas - Scandanavia/Russia - July 15, 2004 [/B]
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2004;7;15;17;00;00&timezone=GMT+0000[/img] </MARQUEE>

<MARQUEE direction=left width=100%> 2/95 Mardi Gras, 3/96 Tropicale, 7/02 Adventure of the Seas </MARQUEE>

Brad - I would agree with you that Princess is also a great cruise line. But it, too, has its pros and cons. We have always enjoyed our cruises on the Grand and the Royal. I am glad to hear that they do not charge at their ice cream bar any more. I have never paid for ice cream on RCI. When you sail the Jewel, you will find no charge for that or for burgers or for anything other than specialty coffees and drinks! If you decide to eat lunch at the Tides, along with their set menu they always have 3 or so special daily items plus made to order table side, pasta dishes. Also they will taylor any item to your liking. Our favorite lunch place was the intimate Seaview Cafe. I know that you will enjoy your July 15 Jewel cruise. Is it Baltic or Fiords?
Thank you for taking the time to answer. I guess it would be a rather dull world if we all thought alike. Besides, stating our concerns just might keep these cruise lines on their toes (which would benefit us all.)

AZ Boomer - I was on HAL's Zaandam last year to Alaska. On the ship there is a free cruise lottery. Every ticket costs $10. I bought one $10 ticket. On the last day of the cruise they give out two free cruises. One through free cruise bingo and one through free cruise lottery. My lottery ticket ended up being picked through the free cruise lottery! I was so excited.

Its a free 7 day cruise for 2 on any Caribbean itinerary offered by HAL. You can upgrade days, cabin assignments or itineraries for a nominal cost.

It was so easy to use with no hassles at all and I got my first choice. Now I can't wait to go to the Western Caribbean on HAL's money in 23 days! [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

jstducky!
-----------------
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2004;9;11;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
...til 9/04 - Jewel of the Seas - Canada / New England

====================================
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2004;7;10;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
...til 7/04 - Zuiderdam - Western Caribbean

=====================================
7/03 - Zaandam - Alaska
4/03 - Norweigan Star - Hawaii
7/96 - Noordam - Alaska
7/96 - Golden Princess - Alaska
8/94 - Jubilee - Mexican Riviera

<center>
<a href="http://www.escati.com/counter98/free_time_codes.htm">
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/logos/time98.gif[/img]</center>

I was told when we were on the Jewell that you could no longer have food prepared tableside due to fire problems. Apparently there was a fire and someone got burned pretty bad last year.

As for food being hot or cold, that probably could have a lot to do with the waiter. Our waiter was not in his right field. One night he forgot to order a steak for an elderly gentleman on our table. When all our food came, his didn't and said he would get on it. 15 minutes later he came and told us the kitchen was shut down. We all finished our meal and were leaving just as the waiter brought the steak. The seven in that party never ate in the dining room again. They did not like the food anyway as it was always cold. By the 8th night we were the only ones on all five tables surrounding us. By the 9th, we were gone too. One thing regarding food, do you think perhaps food for one half the dining room is prepared in the same half in the kitchen? If this is the case, it could go a long way in explaining the huge variances on the food. Most people I talked too sat on the opposite side from us and had early diining. I would find it hard to prepare all this food with only one station.

AS for next cruise, I am hoping RCI brings their standard back up to what it was a few years ago. If they don't, I guess I keep reading these boards and see what other people have been experiencing on other lines. Since I am a loyal RCI fan I will give them a benefit of a doubt, but only one more chance. A vacation is too expensive to not be happy with food or service. If we were at a hotel and got shoddy service, we wouldn't think twice about moving. With a cruise line you are stuck.

Jewel of the Sea May 2004
Serenade of the Sea August 2003
Splendour of the Sea August 1999
Legend of the Sea August 1997
Rotterdam May 1989

Well did'nt we get some views going on the benefits and dislikes of cruising, isnt it an emotive subject, Keeponcruzin hope you didnt mind your thread being taken over for a while on the likes and dislikes or faults of cruise lines, as MKS says it may help to keep the cruise lines on their toes, I also agree with NNY it depends on where you sit and how your waiter fits into line to collect the food, on Legend in March we were at the entrance to the dining Room and we had to insist that we wanted and would not accept anything less than hot food, also I agree with what has been said by others that the standards of RCCL have fallen over the years and hopefully thro threads such as this they may get back to that standard Keeponcruzin we hope you enjoyed the rest of the cruise and also we enjoyed reading your daily updates, one thing I forgot to mention and then again this is subjective, we thought the shows were really great, only one guest artist let the shows down but I guess he wont be returning. To all those who are sailing soon on the JEWEL we are envious and would sail on her again tomorrow if we could.

Tom Cruizes

Thomasref30.gif

Enchantment of Seas Nov 1998

Explorer of Seas Feb 2000

Carnival Sensation sept 2001

Regal Princess Feb 2002

Sunbird Sept 2002

Seawing Nov 2002

Brilliance of Seas Jan 2003

Sundream July 2003

Grandeur of Seas Sept 2003

Adonia Nov 2003

Legend of Seas Feb 2004

SS COWPADDY 2003-2004

JEWEL OF SEAS MAY 2004

Sorry to burst your 'bubble' but cruiselines aren't going back to what they were doing a few yrs ago and they have all 'cut back' - HAL, Princess, RCL ,even Celebrity etc.(been on all over the yrs so know first hand of 'cutting back'). That said, lets remember that cruises were also more expensive earlier too. Want to pay more to get the 'services, food etc' then write to the cruiseline and say so - u might but not many will. Besides those who use certain services or want 'fancier' food can pay for it now and those who don't or can't afford it don't have to. How many of u have cruised with Crystal for example? Problem is, as I see it anyway, is that the cruiselines need to make more $ for their shareholders and/or owners and most importantly, there are more ships to fill..and expenses continue to climb (docking fees for example) and-eh gads-those high fuel prices now too-glad I don't have to pay what they do to fill up). Sooo 'they' offer cheaper fares to fill the ships. This means less $ for better food, entertainment and also results in fewer crew members (the ratio of crew to passengers is dropping). Sad but true however, I for one, still think cruisin' is a great and inexpensive way to pamper yourself and 'see' the world - what say?? If u want more - either choose another upscale (read more expensive) cruiseline or pay for alternative restaurants.. Happy cruisin' all!

Cruisecrazy - I second your sentiments. You expressed cruising down to a T....The options are there for everyone's taste and pocketbook. Plus why should we be made to "subsidize" what some people feel should be free. As of now, I feel we are getting more than our money's worth. Where else can you be coddled and pampered and have such a variety of choice while seeing the world with hardly any effort involved. Ah, cruising is the life.

And I love CC Boards for keeping us up-to-date on what is going on.

Margie

Bald Eagle (Hi by the way, we made it home tired but loved the cruise ports) you have a good point about where you sit. Our table on the Jewell was 2nd from the entrance in a corner and I am beginning to think that made all the difference. I wished when we had talked to the head waiter on the 3rd night, he would have moved us. I never thought of asking about being moved as we enjoyed our table mates so much. Like I said, as the cruise went on, less and less people showed up.

Except for the food, I thoroughly enjoyed the cruise, but will admit after a few days, the food can make or break your good time. The ship was very nice, the room attendants were the best, service everywhere except dining was all I could ever hope for.

I think a good hint to all future cruisers is be upfront about the food to the waiter, ask to move if necessary, and enjoy all the ports. The Baltic is one great itinerary and one trip will never be enough.

Rotterdam May 1989

Hi NNY - We were on 2nd seating, lst table of 10, 5th deck, overlooking the balcony, very close to the entrance on port side. We were extremely pleased with our waiter and ***'t. We were served in a timely manner and the food was always the correct temperature. I do wonder if there are 2 "kitchens" and how long a waiter has to wait. Did you complain to the head waiter or matre de'? Nothing worse than cold food and I agree that food does play an important part in the enjoyment of the cruise.

We will be on the Jewel again October 18 and 28 and will I ever be ready for this food issue. By then it may be all straightened out.

Glad you had a safe trip home. Ours was also long but uneventful. Must say, this was a great cruise and itinerary....one of our favorites....and yes, we too would go again in a New York minute especially if the same cc friends would be on board.

Margie

MKS:

So glad to have found someone cruising with us on the 18th of Oct. on the Jewel. I haven't been able to find anyone on this cruise with us. We are so looking forward to the Jewel. Hope more of our fellow cruisers will respond to Meet and Mingle so we can get a good thread going.

Karon

Jewel of the Seas-New England/Canada

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;10;18;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Karon - The October 18 Jewel cruisers have a thread going on the Meet & Mingle Forum board. We are hoping to get 25 signed up for the party. Have you signed up? See you on the m & M Jewel thread.

(Boy, is cc ever careful....they **** out my abreviation of assistant waiter....way to go.)

Margie

MKS..I do think they must have several stations in the kitchen and that explains the food problem. We did talk to the Head Waiter and Matre D' and even went to the pursers desk to see if we could get the food problem straightened out. No such luck. We did find out our table mates also talked to Head Waiter and Pursers desk, so we know it just wasn't us. We were on table 405 way in the back next to that little extra dining room. What is that extra room for? Once in a while a few people were having dinner, but most nights it was empty. When we were disembarking a RCI staff member came up and asked my husband how he liked the cruise and all the usual questions. Jay did tell him about the food and the staffer thanked Jay for being so "blunt". I am thinking they have a problem in the kitchen as almost all the m and m people had good food and service. There is really no excuse for wrong food and in one case no food. I think that falls on the waiter. The cold congealled mess that we got more than likely came from the kitchen. Our waiter hardly had anyone to serve as by the 7-8th nights people stopped coming down there, so he shouldn't have let food get cold. And for me I can only stand so much buffet food so I was sick of the Windjammer.

Have a great time on your 10-18 cruise. Let all of us m and m'ers know how it went. I noticed lots are still checking our original thread. We want to go to Australia and New Zealand next and I was disapointed RCI has not gone back there. We want to do the Baltic again in 2006.

Sharon

Rotterdam May 1989

One last thing Mks...maybe next time we can all get in the ice bar!!!!!

Rotterdam May 1989

Our May 16 cruise was a bit on the chilly side so we had no music.

Rotterdam May 1989

Hi Mike and Carol,

I would love to hear about your British Isles/Norwegian Fjords cruise on the Jewel. We are taking this exact cruise in July 2005 and would appreciate any info you can pass on. This will be our first trip abroad and we are very excited.

Thanks!

Have a great cruise! Sleddogs icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MVPinBoynton:

Keeponcruzin,

Thanks again for the info. It is great to have a live preview. We are doing the British Isles/Norwegian Fjords itinerary. We did a Baltic cruise in 2001. Like you, we fell in love with Copenhagen. Since we sailed from Copenhagen we got to spend a two day pre-cruise there. I would go back for a week in a minute. Great sights and great people.

Mike

See our reviews and pictures at http://www.thepreismans.com/

Costa Classica 3/94

Celebrity Mercury 4/98

Carnival Destiny 4/99

Crown Princess 7/01

Norwegian Star 11/01

Grand Princess 12/01

Sun Princess 3/02

Celebrity Constellation 11/02

Brilliance of the Seas 6/03

Navigator of the Seas 11/03

Jewel of the Seas 06/04

Tahitian Princess 02/05<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Carnival Fascination 8/00 (Southern Carib)25th Anniversary

Norwegian Sky 8/01 (Alaska) Enchantment of the Seas 8/02 (Western Carib)

Carnival Destiny Family Cruise 8/10/03 (Southern Caribbean)

Celebrity Summit 12 night Alaska cruise tour 8/2004

Jewel of the Seas 12 night British Isles/Norwegian Fjords 7/2005~~30th Anniversary

Archived