Geo Caching

ddgleason

My oldest had a super teacher last year that taught the class how to Geo Cache. (field trips and everything). My daughter loved it and it sounds like a cool family activity, especially on a cruise where you can go to different ports. Does anyone do this? How exactly do we get started? Tips or suggestions? Thanks!!!

My oldest had a super teacher last year that taught the class how to Geo Cache. (field trips and everything). My daughter loved it and it sounds like a cool family activity, especially on a cruise where you can go to different ports. Does anyone do this? How exactly do we get started? Tips or suggestions? Thanks!!!

We love geocaching. We have even had summer parties based on geocaching! All you need is to register with the geocaching website, obtain a GPS device and start having fun:D Here is the info from their website (www.geocaching.com):

Easy Steps to Geocaching

1. Register for a free Basic Membership.
  2. Click "Hide & Seek a Cache."
  3. Enter your postal code and click "search."
  4. Choose any geocache from the list and click on its name.
  5. Enter the coordinates of the geocache into your GPS Device.
  6. Use your GPS device to assist you in finding the hidden geocache.
  7. Sign the logbook and return the geocache to its original location.
  8. Share your geocaching stories and photos online.

We have done geocaching in several states: Tennessee, North Carolina, and Pennsylvania. It is a fun way to explore and get some exercise outdooors. Usually we take a trinket (a matchbox car or keychain) to leave and we let the kids take something in exchange from the cache. Some cache's are smaller and have a log book to write your name and the date you found the cache.

Diane

My DH and I have been caching with friends (and their children) for several years. Some of our favorites were done while cruising the Western Caribbean. We are planning to spend some portion of our upcoming cruise to Bermuda geocaching. I believe there are over 50 in Bermuda alone.

In addition to traditional caches (ones where you can exchange items), you will often find virtual (usually pertaining to local historical sites), micro (generally containing nothing more than a log book) and night (often not for the faint of heart). Another really cool thing about geocaching is finding geo-coins and travel bugs. These are trackable items that generally have some significance to the owner and/or a mission to complete. We launched a TB in MA a few years back and the last time we checked it was traveling throughout the midwest.

I am sure you will find it to be a lot of fun. Be sure to check for events in your area on the site Diane suggested. In our area they have an annual event that is family oriented (i.e. kids are able to decorate an ammo can, etc.), as well as weekend long jamborees. Best of luck and happy caching!!

~Kate

We love this!!!

We have even picked up a couple of caches in Cozumel and Grand Cayman. It is a great family activity and other than the initial cost of the GPS, it is free. :D

Geocaching is so much fun and a great activity to do while cruising. I think it would be fun to do a group geocaching cruise. I think there is one in July departing from Seattle after Geowoodstock but we are doing Alaska in June so missed that opportunity.

Archived