One Month to Go!!

promodude

Congratulations, you will have a wonderful time.

They may have a meet and greet for singles; they used to when the ship was run by Regent. If not, ask the cruise director about it. Getting to know the CD would be a good thing, he/she should be able to arrange single diners to have a group dinner and cocktail parties.

Befriend the maitre'ds--they will seat you with a group of other people at dinner, regardless of whether they are couples or not.

In general, befriend the staff--bartenders, waiters are all nice people and they will steer you well. If you're a night owl, you will make friends with others who are the same--La Palette, for example. the pool bar is another place where folks congregate and conversation flows.

With the ship being all-inclusive for alcohol, the bars buzz before dinner as well--just sit yourself at the bar and you will find yourself in conversation.

Participate in some of the ship activities--polynesian dance lessons, music trivia, etc.

The cruise is such an active one that there are plenty of opportunities on excursions to get to know your fellow cruisers as well.

Thank you SO much for your reply AND amazing review! I live in SD , and am a photographer so can't wait for this opportunity! I am divorced for over 5 years now and truthfully was somewhat reticent about cruising alone. BUT I found out that the Cruise Director is a good friend of a dear friend of mine! Thank goodness. I am sailing on April 17th (seems so far away!).

I appreciate your taking the time to reply!

PD, April 17th will be here before you know it!! I'm hoping you will return with cards filled with photos to share with us. I know it has only been a month since I was there, but it seems like it was so much longer.

You will have a fantastic time, I'm certain. We met a couple of men traveling alone, although they were most likely older than you. Both widowers. Turns out one of them had a son who was 2 years behind me at the same high school. Small world. He had recently lost his wife and began the trip somewhat depressed, but by the end of the trip he was like a different person! I so enjoyed chatting with him each day and finding out what adventure he had participated in. He dined with many different guests and made many friends on the ship. I don't know that he even participated in any of the "single" activities. As Wendy mentioned, just head down to the bar- Piano Bar or La Pallette in the evening and you will have no loss for conversation.

I don't know if I can put this properly in words, but the feeling for me on the ship was so different than being at home. Walking up to someone who you didn't know and striking up a conversation was easy, welcomed even. Meeting new people was such a pleasure. I met so many wonderful, interesting people on the ship. We are even planning a summer vacation to visit some of them!:)

I'm SO envious!!! We are reading itineraries and looking at our well worn brochure all the time. I see you are on the 7 night cruise. Are you doing ATN out of LA?

Keep us posted and please report back when you get home!!

Lost my wife as well, however your words assure me that I will have an amazing time. I really appreciate your response and I promise to take some incredible shots for you! And yes, I am flying ATN! Can't believe how excited I am getting!!

• 2 weeks later...

When I started cruising alone after my divorce, I opened up and became more friendly and independent. i have met wonderful people from all over the world who have become life long friends (both singles and couples). When people are on holidays in Paradise, they are very friendly and welcoming. And yes, the maitre d' will sit you with other people and other couples - he better or I will be out of luck if I finally book this last minute.

Oh and I am addicted to photography also. I just came back from two, one week back to back cruises on the Wind Surf to the Grenadines, Guadaloupe, St. Lucia, St. Kitts, Grenada, Barbados, Nevis, Anguilla, etc. etc. and I took over 6000 photos. I still haven't sorted through them all, so really shouldn't be taking off again - but what the heck, PG has a sale on with no single supplement, so I should take advantage of it.

From my experience, we met the most people through excursions, however, I just had dinner with a couple from Toronto this week who I met at the pool bar waiting for peanut bowl refill of all things! I keep in touch with about a dozen people from our voyage last year.

It was easy to strike up a conversation with folks and usually always ended in an invite to dinner. People who get the opportunity to take this voyage are a lucky bunch. I believe people befriend one another much more easily on this trip than say, a mega ship itinerary, where we've all likely experienced the rushed herd mentality.

You will have a great time. I look forward to your report back and pictures! Can you also do me a huge favor and let us know what amenities are in the bathrooms? Odd request I know, but it helps to know what's aboard now since they changed out the brand. I'm sure they kep the shampoo, but is there conditioner and lotion?

Thanks and have a wonderful voyage!

we just returned from 14-day Marquesas itinerary. the trip was one of the best I've ever takne (and I've been to quiet a few places). it was amazing! the amenities are L'Occitane Lemon Verbena. And they give you 2.5 fl.oz bottles instead of single use one, so you don't run out mid-shower. includes shampoo, conditioner, shower gel and body lotion, plus bar soap (also l'occitane)

we just returned from 14-day Marquesas itinerary. the trip was one of the best I've ever takne (and I've been to quiet a few places). it was amazing! the amenities are L'Occitane Lemon Verbena. And they give you 2.5 fl.oz bottles instead of single use one, so you don't run out mid-shower. includes shampoo, conditioner, shower gel and body lotion, plus bar soap (also l'occitane)

Welcome back Lera! Are you ready to rebook for next year? LOL I know we all would love to hear more about your travels aboard the PG. :)

Thanks for the heads up on the bath amenities! I use part of this line at home and am thankful my upcoming trip I don't have to pack my conditioner or shampoo. :)

If you went to Motu Mahana and/or the little beach at Bora Bora, how was the snorkeling?

So sorry to hijack the thread, but didn't know how else to get in touch - Lera we are going on the 14 day in September, our first trip to the area, and would appreciate any advice you have about the land excursions you took. Or any other advice about this cruise in particular! I think there is not another 14 day between now and ours... TIA!

And promodude, hope you have a fantastic time.

i've been meaning to post a detailed trip report, but got caught up at work. the cruise was fabulous but there's definitely a lack of good information about marquesas on these boards and in general. There's not another Marquesas cruise between now and Septmber. Give me a couple days and I'll do a detailed writeup.

Archived