Eastern Med Sep or Oct?

GARNERSINMH

Hi everyone!

Looking at Eastern Med with Egypt in September or October of 2011. I have checked the weather averages and can see the advantages to both months but I'm looking for a little first hand knowledge please. We would be in the ports for every stop but hopefully by the pool on sea days. Are the seas any rougher later in the year in the Med? How are temperatures, OK for sunning? Any info will be appreciated. Thanks!

It will be warm and sunny, not as HOT as Sept...in my case we went mid Oct. and was about 75 and 60 in most areas....so easier to enjoy the towns and cruise ship too....seemed the price was slightly less too..you ll love the vacation,just read a guidebook before and get hints from each city website.....that way you can dress appropriately and see sites you want...check government website for health tips and diet ,cdc for vaccinations etc....have a great time:)

We've done Med cruises the past three years last week of November. The northern ports were a bit chilly, but with a more southerly itinerary, fall is a great time to go. Many of the southern ports are far TOO hot in the June through early September timeframe.

Depends on what itinerary you choose. If out of or into Venice, October/November will run the risk of Acqua Alta (Winter flooding)

http://www.italyheaven.co.uk/veneto/venice/acqua-alta.html

It wasn't quite as bad as some of the photos depict when we were there in Oct '08, but we did have rain the 3 days we were there, and they did have the elevated walkways out and rubber galoshes out. We got soaked a couple of times, and sightseeing isn't much fun when you are knee deep in water.

We had beautiful weather from Oct 17 through the 12 day cruise, until we arrived in Venice on Oct 28. It rained until we left on Oct 31 and even continued to rain in Paris until our departure on Nov 2. If I were to go again, I'd try for early October and try to miss all the rain we had at the end of October.

Google the weather history and determine for yourself if you are willing to risk lots of rain and flooding, if you are going to the Northern area of the Med. I don't know about the Southern ports, as we didn't go there. Mykonos was cancelled due to high winds and unable to get into port. Kusadasi was warm and sunny. That's the farthest South we went.

Have fun planning, then taking your cruise.

Archived