2 Dubai hotels - opinions please.

wingit

Will be in Dubai for 3 days pre-cruise. Does anyone have experience with either the Arabian Courtyard Hotel and Spa or the Metropolitan Hotel Deira? --Pro or con.

Is the neighborhood of either hotel safe and walkable to restaurants, interesting shopping ,etc.

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide. :)

Hi Wingit

We also are staying in Dubai for 3 days pre cruise and I have spent countless hours searching hotels and districts and am totally confused about which is the best area to stay. We are thinking of booking Sofitel which is down near the Marina, so is a fair distance from Dubai itself (I think about 20-30 km) but don't know whether this is a good idea, not sure where the port is either. We have some tours planned but also want to be within walking distance of nightlife and shopping.

Hi Wingit

We also are staying in Dubai for 3 days pre cruise and I have spent countless hours searching hotels and districts and am totally confused about which is the best area to stay. We are thinking of booking Sofitel which is down near the Marina, so is a fair distance from Dubai itself (I think about 20-30 km) but don't know whether this is a good idea, not sure where the port is either. We have some tours planned but also want to be within walking distance of nightlife and shopping.

Hi Katkell,

We've pretty much decided on the Arabian Courtyard Hotel. It's in the Bur Dubai area. From my research on tripadvisor.com and the Dubai forum there it seems to be a pretty nice and interesting neighborhood. It's also well situated re the cruise terminal.

I would suggest checking the Dubai forum on tripadvisor.com. There are some very helpful people on that board that know their way around Dubai.

Best of luck:)

Hi, Dubai resident here.

While nothing wrong with the Met Deira, it's best to remain on the Bur Dubai side for touristy places.

This is where the Arabian Courtyard is. If interested the AC is just steps away from the Dubai Museum and the restored Bastikiya area with the cafe's, art gallaries etc. You are also within 10mins walking distance to "abra" stands (water taxi type service to cross the creek to go to Deira side of the town).

The cruise terminal is located at Port Rashid which is also quite close to the AC (10min cab ride).

For the mega malls you will have to cab it: Dubai Mall, Mall of Emirates, Ibn Battuta Mall and the brand spanking new (but far out) Mirdif City Center.

The Dubai Mall and the Fountain show is a must do. Free Daily from 6pm onwards every 20mins.

Let me know if you need any further info on Dubai.

Happy cruising....

In simple terms, you have to think of Dubai as two distinct tourist destinations, so the big decision is whether you spend your 3 days in Dubai itself or you stay at the beachside 5* Hotels which are located further out at Jumeirah and towards the Palm. I don't know which cruise you are taking, but if it includes some time docked in Dubai, as ours did, then I suggest you spend your 3 days further out of Dubai. The travel time from the cruise port to say The Palm and the Marina is anything up to an hour, whereas cruise port to Gold Souk, Creek etc is only 15minutes.

By staying futher out you can visit The Palm with The Atlantis Hotel, a destination in itself, the Mall of the Emirates, with the indoor Ski slope and The Marina area plus the Jumeirah Madinat Souk.

Then from your cruise days, you can go to Gold Souk, take an Abra across the creek, visit Dubai Mall with fountain show all of which are close to the cruise port.

Thanks for the additional input Winterhammer and Bedruthen. I do think for us old Dubai will be a more interesting place to stay than the big splashy beach resorts. I think the Arabian Courtyard offers a shuttle to the Jumeirah beach area, so we'll be able to check it out pretty easily.

We also want to go to the Dubai Mall and see the fountain show.

On my original posting I mis spoke. We're in Dubai 3 nights, but just 2 days. Our cruise begins in Dubai.

Winterhammer do most all the taxi cab drivers speak English?

Archived