Dinner/Eve. Food on Hurtigruten Norway cruises

snoopysnake

We are considering Hurtigruten for a one to two week Norway coastal cruise in one or two years. I have food allergies and am looking into whether I would have a problem going hungry evenings. I am allergic to potatoes, eggs, poultry, nuts, shellfish, and chocolate. It looks like I would do fine at breakfast and lunch. Could people who have cruised Norway on Hurtigruten answer for me about evening food:

- How many nights a week do they serve fish (salmon, herring, mackerel, etc.) for the main course? These would be fine for me!

- How many nights a week have the main course of chicken, turkey, etc.?

- How many nights a week have other meat. I like beef and ham but am not keen on other meats.

- Do they serve bread with dinner, so that I could fill up on that if I can’t eat other things served?

- Is there any place on the ship to buy other food like hamburgers, hot dogs, pizza, or other snacks after 5pm?

If you have found that what is available is different on the different ships (for instance if a bigger ship has things a smaller one does not) that would be very helpful too.

Thank you!

We are considering Hurtigruten for a one to two week Norway coastal cruise in one or two years. I have food allergies and am looking into whether I would have a problem going hungry evenings. I am allergic to potatoes, eggs, poultry, nuts, shellfish, and chocolate. It looks like I would do fine at breakfast and lunch. Could people who have cruised Norway on Hurtigruten answer for me about evening food:

- How many nights a week do they serve fish (salmon, herring, mackerel, etc.) for the main course? These would be fine for me!

- How many nights a week have other meat. I like beef and ham but am not keen on other meats.

- Do they serve bread with dinner, so that I could fill up on that if I can’t eat other things served?

- Is there any place on the ship to buy other food like hamburgers, hot dogs, pizza, or other snacks after 5pm?

If you have found that what is available is different on the different ships (for instance if a bigger ship has things a smaller one does not) that would be very helpful too.

Thank you!

We sailed on the Trollfjord. I am assuming that you will be booking either the full cruise (Bergen-Bergen) or one way which will include all your meals. If shorter segments are booked, meals are not included but can be purchased in the cafe.

You won't have a problem! The first day there is an announcement that if you have a food allergy to meet with the Chef at a certain time. They have a substitute meal for vegeterians, and will make adjustments for allergies if they know in advance. Fish is served about every other night. I don't recall what the meat/poultry was for the other nights. There is a cafe where other food is served, but it costs extra and is very expensive. Breakfast and lunch buffets offer a huge choice; you should have no problem with those meals. Remember, the shop stops frequently so you can do some shopping locally if you need additional food.

Thank you!

We just got back from a cruise on the Fram. They had fish/seafood every night, as well as fresh bread, either a lamb, chicken or beef dish as well as vegetables. There is no grill to get burgers, hot dogs, pizza, etc. Also a salad and other salad type selections. Desserts were very good but rich.

Rc

Archived