MV Discovery - ship's layout

SwissMyst

Indeed, we are itinerary driven, & the overnights would be a huge bonus.

The 2nd itinerary on a "regular ship" would be for the itinereary also.

Just afraid of locking myself into 50+ days on an unknown vessel unless I am confident of at least the creature comforts. Not looking for luxury but do want comfort.

Separate bunk beds & assigned seating are also holding me back.

It really looks like exactly my style of cruising...off the beaten path stops, many overnights etc. A lot to think about.

No all rooms have fixed beds and the seating arrangements were changed with every two week segment, as well as adaptive to needs and availability of tables at any time during the cruise. Yes, I can see your concerns for creature comforts because we got a particularly large basic cabin (next to the medical office) that did give us a little more space breathing room, if still very basic.

Two ladies (who did not know each other - both were traveling solo) came in late every evening and asked to be seated at different tables every night, once it became clear to the Maitre d' there would be some no-shows at some of the tables.

The good thing for us once we settled into the routine and were constantly dazzled by the stops and on-board lectures, we found we loved our new routine in our tiny little cabin. My only change would be to not feel trapped by the sit-down dinner every night, by exploring room service more or taking advantage of the sandwich bar at tea time to pack one for for my later "dinner" either on deck or in our room.

Or, relying on the very generous lunch time buffet as my "dinner" (main meal). And then filling in with the goodies at the late buffet which were often the best dining and unique offerings on the ship. Dinner time would then be better used looking at the lectures on the closed circuit TV, which would then open up that daytime lecture time to being just be lazy out on the deck, reading a good book or browsing the very good library and other deck side activities also going on.

My DH did loved the formality of the full dinner and main dining room setting, so this was the one win-lose part of the trip for us. We went and I always felt over-stuffed before I even entered the dining room door. And probably (likely) this was because I would always fill up at tea time with their very delicious goodies and had no appetite for another full meal just a few hours later.

My weak-willed choices I realize, but the afternoon tea time was one of my favorite times on ship. The Discovery desserts often did taste as good as they looked (unlike a lot of other ships), and if not there were always their variety of scones and clotted cream to make up for any flavor deficiencies in the other copious choices.

The ship was small enough that any socializing with other passengers did not rely just on your assigned table mates. Everyone was open to sharing tables and sharing stories on the Lido deck or any other non-dining activity.

So not to try to sell you because 50 days would be a huge commitment for one line as unique as the Discovery. And how great you can combine the two options to get the itinerary you really want and the best of both worlds. I can see your point. But if the second cruise did not deliver the itinerary you wanted, then I would take a chance on those 50 days on the Discovery alone. Hey, life should hand all of us such challenges. :p

We were on the Discovery the last season in Antarctica-2008. Certainly enjoyed that trip but it was like an expedition. Received our brochures for first part of 2012 about 2 months ago and was so intrigued by one trip so we signed up. Always wanted to go to India and this will take us there. Just a few days and then a land trip afterwards. For some reason I cannot remember dinner at night in 2008 . Maybe because we were sick coming across the Drake passage and missed it. My husband wonders if he packs one sport coat if that would suffice? Since retirement he has few dress clothes. Last cruise was on Oceania which has no formal nights. I know the old adage you will never see these people again but the suitcase limits and the need for special clothes overland rather limit formal clothes room.

We were on the Discovery the last season in Antarctica-2008. Certainly enjoyed that trip but it was like an expedition. Received our brochures for first part of 2012 about 2 months ago and was so intrigued by one trip so we signed up. Always wanted to go to India and this will take us there. Just a few days and then a land trip afterwards. For some reason I cannot remember dinner at night in 2008 . Maybe because we were sick coming across the Drake passage and missed it. My husband wonders if he packs one sport coat if that would suffice? Since retirement he has few dress clothes. Last cruise was on Oceania which has no formal nights. I know the old adage you will never see these people again but the suitcase limits and the need for special clothes overland rather limit formal clothes room.

Here were my impressions: Formal night was tuxedos and dark suits. Informal nights were sport coats and ties. Casual was a sport coat without a tie ..... for the most part. I got the impression people on this ship still like the idea of dressing for dinner, "just because" was my impression. Not overly fancy or stylish, but just that it is was normal to do this for the occasion. They sold dinner jackets in the ship store. And most of the port stops also sold glitter wear wraps and tops so one could add to the festivities without packing.

I would think going from Oceania to Discovery would be a huge change.

I also now am concerned that all the dinners seem to require dressing up.

Tux/Suits? A tie for informal night & a jacket for casual?

I like dressing up on occasion but every night?

I would think going from Oceania to Discovery would be a huge change.

I also now am concerned that all the dinners seem to require dressing up.

Tux/Suits? A tie for informal night & a jacket for casual?

I like dressing up on occasion but every night?

This is what most people did; not that it is required. But not sure really casual would be okay at dinner - no shorts, tee shirts but certainly coordinated pants and tops were okay, and yes polo shirts and shirt sleeves okay for men.

But that was my own one regret, lack of a casual dining option. On our next Voyages to Antiquity ship, they do offer casual on deck evening dining besides the formal dining room. Nice to know at least there is an option, but we will be on a far shorter cruise so we will probably use the main dining room most nights for that short of time.

It was the longer Discovery trip where I did start rebelling against dressing up even a little bit every night. But then DH loved dressing up every night so we just did it to keep the specialness of the whole experience. You do have other options if you don't have to compromise with someone who likes the more formal aspects of the evening dining plan.

I did enjoy Oceania because you could wear normal clothes for dinner. However, the price on Oceania for this was too pricey. Just the overland to the Taj Mahal was quite a difference. My oceania cruise was purchased when there was a downturn and you got a 1500 off per person, gratuities paid and onboard credit. Those days are gone. It was nice though. My husband just hates dressing up in suits. A dinner jacket never. Well, he will take a suit and maybe a sport coat but I will have to really twist his arm to do it. I think it might be a policy on Discovery also because it is not American. Americans do not dress up as much as Europeans. I always admire the way Brits and Europeans dress but I do not know how they have this magical suitcase that has no bottom as they have so many clothes. thanks

The normal dress during the day was very casual which is why there must have been room for more dinner clothes but I also may be giving the wrong impression about the degree of dinner formality - it was just not totally casual and yes there were dark suits and tuxes (which DH manages to pack and still meet baggage limits).

But the daytime dress was clearly shorts and tee shirt (many travel logo tee-shirts, and many picked up along the way), so there was almost no suitcase room for the casual dress clothes. And there were always a minority of men with no jacket or women in casual dress in the evenings, and one woman who wore the exact same dress day and night.

It is also a ship where good manners of the passengers accept the person first and were not overly sensitive about what that person was wearing. It was just not that kind of a style or fashion conscious ship at all. It is just that most of the people just were used to "dressing up" a bit for dinner which is not to say they were "all dressed up".

Those who dressed up did it primarily for themselves because this is just what they do when they "go out". It was not done for anyone else's standards at all. My own DH would feel uncomfortable if he did not "dress up" a bit for the more formal dining room setting but he does this at home when we go out too.

But your own husband's dress comfort standards should not prevent you from enjoying this cruise because there was room to accommodate all, plus if he wanted to change for his own comfort level he could pick up something more formal in the ship shop.

I cruised to Antarctica on Discovery in 2008. I traveled solo as I often do. I met many wonderful fellow travelers and have since traveled several times with some of them, developing lasting friendships.

Will be again on Discovery to the White Sea above the Arctic Circle in June this year. Norway and Russia. Can't wait!

Again traveling solo, but some friends from the Antarctica cruise are also going.

I was on Bali deck outside last time and will be this time as well.

No one cruises on Discover for the ship itself. It is all about the itinerary, fellow passengers and ship's crew/staff and the atmosphere.

I was on Bali deck outside last time and will be this time as well.

No one cruises on Discover for the ship itself. It is all about the itinerary, fellow passengers and ship's crew/staff and the atmosphere.

Gee, all along I thought it was for the size of their cabins and their wonderful industrial bathrooms on the Coral Deck one floor down, where you get to enjoy an inside cabin for the price of an ocean view when the waves come up and/or the pirates come out. :p:p:p

In total agreement with your conclusions too: fellow passengers, crew/staff, itinerary, atmosphere ....... AND ..... enrichment lectures. A+

Archived