Naval Air Base

llanning

The townhouses are fully furnished (no maid service) 3 bedroom renovated officer housing and are $80 per night for 2, with $10 per person per night extra with the max of 6 people. There are 4 units available if you have 8 in your group for $135 per night. There is a 14 night maximum. You must have a military ID with Commisary privileges. The person with the ID must be with the non-military people to get them in the gate each time they want to come on base. Reservations are taken 5 months in advance for retirees, 6 months in advance for active duty personnel. The townhouses are about 3/4 mile from Duval, an easy and safe 20 minute stroll. There are also 2 bedroom mobile homes available for $60 per night and they sleep 4. Call 305-293-5000 for reservations.

Thanks so much for the quick reply. We have our reservations for next month. How far away from the townhouses are the restaurant, lounges, pool, etc. on base? How far to a beach for sunning and swimming? What other tips can I pick your brain for? We won't have a car.

Thanks so much for the quick reply. We have our reservations for next month. How far away from the townhouses are the restaurant, lounges, pool, etc. on base? How far to a beach for sunning and swimming? What other tips can I pick your brain for? We won't have a car.

The restaurant on base is a block away but it is only open for Sunday brunch and, I think, Wed night. The Paradise Cafe is a block away for breakfast and lunch. Other eateries are on Duval. The lounge on base is a block away, the pool is a block away. The beach is on the other side of the island. You can rent a bicycle or take a taxi. It's a long 2 mile walk but can be done. You don't really need a car if you're able and willing to walk. Taxis are a good way also. You'll enjoy your stay. I used to be a reservationist at Trumbo. Say hi to either Eva, Richard, or Anna from Rita when you check in.

I hope you don't mind if I ask another question. My husband wants to know if there is a TV in the townhouses? VCR/DVD player? What are some do not miss things in Key West? We will be there 6 nights. Reservations told us there was local phone service? True? I might bring my laptop if there is. Thanks in advance.

There is a TV but no VCR/DVD. I'd suggest you call back re phones. When I worked there last year there were no phones, but I understand they were going to install them. Perhaps that project did in fact get finished.

My do not miss list includes:

sunset at Mallory Square

train or trolly tour

Hemingway House

Mel Fisher Museum

Butterfly House

dinner at El Meson de Pepe's at Mallory square-great band "Carib" plays nightly 4-8

No matter what you do, or not do, you'll have a great time.

Archived