HELP!! Arriving in Miami 0729 for cruise w/ 4 kids

Just found out yesterday from Travel Agent that R.C. has us booked on 9:00 pm flight out of San Diego into LAX 9:48pm depart LAX 11:30pm arrive in Miami 7:29am. We have 4 children so I'm not thrilled with this time line. With the time dif. the kids will be lucky to get 4 hours of sleep. Any info on what to expect when we get in to Miami w/ regards to boarding would be great. We are first time cruisers and could use any tips that you all have to offer. We are booked on the Explorer of the Seas for the June 27 to July 4 cruise. Thanks in advance for any hints or tips you can give me.

That's what happens when you fly from the West Coast to the East Coast the day of the cruise - you lose many hours of time travelling from west to east (four time zones that are each one hour ahead of PST)), and RCI will book you on the red-eye flights. There was a time that, if you booked your air through the cruiseline, and were flying from the West, you would be flown in a day early and be put up at a hotel. Nowadays, if you don't pay the cruise line's air deviation fee and the cruise line's hotel price to fly down a day ahead of sailing, you'll get the red-eye. That's one reason why so many people book their own air and hotel, and fly down the day before sailing - to get a good night's sleep before their cruise. If you're arriving into Miami at 7:30 in the morning, you'll have to collect your baggage, and wait around the airport until about noon or 1:00 p.m., when the RCI buses begin loading for the drive to the pier. There's been a lot of criticism about RCI booking those red-eye flights from the West Coast. Your TA should have explained all of this to you!

you might ask around to see if any of the airport hotels offer "day rooms" or allow "early check in" (very early) and use a hotel froom for some naps & a shower (or maybe a pool break)

I suggest you take the Dollar Rent-A-Car shuttle to the Dollar facilty off site, get out of this shuttle and get on the other shuttle going to the pier. Trust me no one monitors who's getting on and off of these shuttles. The shuttle driver told me this. Anyway you will be at the very nice terminal buliding by 9 or 10 and should be able to board between 11am and Noon. Can't promise but this has always been my experience.

Depending on the ages of your kids they will probably fair ok. Kids are troopers and can handle quite a lot. It's the parents and the frayed nerves that would concern me. After you get to the airport ( hopefully there are two adults) then gather your luggage, find someplace for a little breakfast , catch a shuttle or something to the pier and plan on checking in around 11:00 am. After you get onboard, get some lunch and then have the kids lay down for a two hour nap before the afternoon festivities begin. Talk to the kids before the trip so they know that this will be stressful.

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;12;04;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0600[/img]
'Til my next cruise

Thanks to everyone for their tips. Yes, the husband will be traveling with me the ages of our kids are 2,3,7,12 and I'm hoping the 4 hours of shut eye on the plane will be enough for the kids. Is it really true that R.C.I. doesn't send a shuttle till noon or 1:00?? They are the ones that booked us to arrive at 7:30 in the morning. So, is it better to get our own transportation to the pier?? We obviously will not all fit in one taxi. One of the responses mentioned a "terminal building". Is that right at the pier, is that where they process our paper work(I already filled in all 6 of our "Guest info. Forms"), are there chairs there to sit, and is it air conditioned? Sorry for all the questions. Thanks again!!!

Yes the terminal is where they will process your paperwork. Areas to sit and I've never known a terminal not to be airconditioned. I'm sure the 12 yr old is used to lending a hand and I would honor the 7 yr old by having them carry a backpack with juice boxes and nutrigrain bars to keep the little ones fed and small toys or books for the boring times. If you get to the terminal early you won't have long to wait. While Mom or Dad is handling the processing of paperwork then the spouse and 12 yr old can be holding little hands to keep them from wandering off.

You may want to get your own transportation but first I would have the TA check to see what time the cruiseline shuttles begin. Share a Vans usually run $15 per person ( about the same cost that a limo would be for the 6 of you).

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;12;04;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0600[/img]
'Til my next cruise

Yes - the RCI shuttles (which are actually big Greyhound-type buses) will not begin boarding until about noon. Each bus must be filled before it leaves the airport for the pier. You might want to consider getting a taxi to the pier at about 10:30 - 11:00 a.m., and there are taxi-vans that will hold 6 passengers and their luggage. I know that the flat rate for a regular taxi is $20.00 plus tip for a ride to the pier (not per person...total price). I'm not sure of the rate of a taxi-van, though. A good idea would be to bring "comfort items", like pillows, stuffed animals, and favorite "blankies" for the little ones. Don't forget the snacks and drinks! The boarding terminal at the pier is a huge, open building. There are chairs, but sometimes not enough. It is A/C, but since it's an enormous one-room facility, sometimes it seems like the A/C is on "low", and in Miami in late June, it is HOT! I think your best bet is to wait in the airport (comfortably air-conditioned), and leave for the pier around 11:00 a.m. in a private taxi-van....just to snag the chairs at the boarding terminal.

Archived