Deck 12 vs. deck 8

I am almost ready to book our rooms for our Feb. 2011 cruise on the Oasis .... I have spent so much time in the past week looking at the deck plan that I think my family is planning an Oasis intervention! LOL

We are a family of five -- DH, myself and three kids (15, 12, 8). DH really wants an ocean view w/balcony and since this is our first family cruise, he deserves it! :p My tentative plan was to book rooms across from each other, with us by the ocean and the kids overlooking the action on the Boardwalk. Our travel agent has rooms 8326 (D8) and 8327 (B1) on hold for us at the moment. I chose deck 8 because it would be on the same level as Park Cafe in Central Park (morning coffee fix!) and it would be a beautiful place to walk around. The kids would also be able to see the Aqua-theatre fairly well, etc.

After (obsessively) reading the board, I am wondering if we should think about a floor higher up? The somewhat private/secluded decks on aft deck 12 sound wonderful. We would also be that much closer to the pools and the teen/kids area, where the tribe will most likely spend a lot of time. Rooms 12729 (B1) and 12728 (D6) look ideal, right at the entrance to the deck area. Of course the cost will go up if we switch from a D8 to a D6 so I will ask the travel agent tomorrow about that, as well as availability.

Anyway, any and all thoughts are appreciated! I know we will have a spectacular time regardless, but I like to obsess over planning. ;)

Elizabeth

Maine

We haven't gone on our cruise yet but we picked deck 12. My husband studied the deck plan as well LOL! His rule of thumb is you see what floor the best room or suite is located on and that's the floor we want to be on :). The Presidential suite is on deck 12.

Not saying that is the best way to pick a deck...but it works for us LOL!

We were contemplating booking the presidential suite as we have a quite a few family members coming with us, do you think it will be way more expensive then us all getting separate rooms?? Not sure if after a couple of days I will want more privacy though :confused:

Like your way of thought though, definitely a good way to make your mind up as there are so many decks to choose from! We've only stayed on deck 6 and 7 on the Independence but this ship is so much more bigger it makes it so hard to choose :o

7 days is a long time to room with family outside of your immediate household LOL!! The Presidential Suite is awfully expensive.

You should talk to a travel agent and see if you have enough people going to do a group. You don't get a discount but if you book enough cabins the leader gets a few perks.

We looked into a family suite, but even the travel agent was surprised with the outrageous pricing they are asking for the week we are going. So it will be less expensive for us to go with two rooms.

I am probably putting way too much thought into our location .... I know we will hardly be in the room .... but I just figure it would be best to be somewhat near the locations we plan to spend a lot of time.

Has anyone seen that aft deck on deck 12?

We looked into a family suite, but even the travel agent was surprised with the outrageous pricing they are asking for the week we are going. So it will be less expensive for us to go with two rooms.

I am probably putting way too much thought into our location .... I know we will hardly be in the room .... but I just figure it would be best to be somewhat near the locations we plan to spend a lot of time.

Has anyone seen that aft deck on deck 12?

I know exactly what you mean about location, after staying on deck 6 and 7 on the Independence we won't stay on another deck on this ship as it was so perfect for us.

I think deck 12 looks great, close to all the stuff for the kids, and for you to catch some rays. They will want to go off on their own no doubt. I know my daughter loves the fact she can go off on her own and get an ice cream etc...

I'm sure the view will be amazing too. If your gut feeling is to book, then book it :D:D

Have a fab time, let me know what you choose in the end.

Katy

• 3 weeks later...

We were in 12724 on Oasis and LOVED it. Quiet, private, and close to that perfect "aft" public deck. We booked 12728 for next March so we'll have only ONE set of neighbors. The "public" deck has very little traffic so it's almost like your own LARGE private balcony. I have heard people can look around and see on the balcony of 12728, but we visited with the people in that cabin and said no one was ever there and it wasn't a problem. Also, your neighbors on either side can actually look around and see your balcony (and cabin if the drapes are open,) so what's the difference?

• 1 year later...

Archived