British Isles out of Copenhagen/Aug. 2011/Azamara Journey

Zoolander

I have a simple question about the distance of the ships in port to the towns themselves on this itinerary.

I have tried to search this, but it has been difficult to get specifics.

I have tried to get a brochure from Azamara three times now, and we are still waiting. Plus, for whatever reason, it seems that the Azamara Website is a little behind. Not sure that any of these sources would have the info I am looking for anyway. That is why I need your help.

Anyway...

On this specific cruise, which of these ports will we need special transportation "just" to get into town. (We are both healthy by the way, and the way I eat on these cruises, trust me, a moderate walk will NOT kill me)

1. Kiel Canal

2. Amsterdam

3. Waterford

4. Liverpool

5. Dublin

6. Edinburgh

7. Oslo

Thanks in advance.

I understand that in "some" ports that Azamara will have some shuttles, but the reviews I have read about this service were not too consistent nor promising.

Hi Zoolander,

Your post says 2011, but in your signature you mention 2010. If it is the 2010 cruise, come on over to the roll-call. We are discussing transportation and other activities that you might be interested in.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=992216

The biggest challenge I have found so far is in Amsterdam. For the 2010 cruise, we are actually docking at Imjuiden instead of downtown due to the Sail Amsterdam festival starting the day we get there. There seems to be no easy public transport option either. The private van I have booked is full, but I believe there are others looking for transport as well. Otherwise, Azamara has an "On your own" option for this port.

I know Edinburgh is right by downtown and is even on a bus line. For Oslo, you actually dock right in the middle of downtown next to the Akershus Castle. As far as I can tell, all other docks are right in town as well.

Hope you can join us on the roll call!

Tina

Hi Zoolander

I can only answer about the Kiel Canal and Amsterdam, not having been to the other places.

If you are going on an excursion from the Kiel Canal, you will get off at the beginning of the canal (right beside the ship), go on your trip which meets up with the ship later in the day, further along the canal. It was fantastic being on the ship as loads of local people wave to the ship as it passes their homes, villages or crossing points. The Captain when we were on Journey had one of those massive sponge wavy hands that he waved back with. He also tooted the ship's hooter along the way. It was a lot of fun. I don't know what the folk did who went off for a day's excursion.

In Amsterdam, you are berthed right beside the city centre - no more than ten minutes walk away.

Have fun

Lynne :)

Thanks GA Cruiser, you are correct, 2010. Getting my years and cruises mixed up.

Actually, I became concerned about the Amsterdam port, I believe, because of what I read on the Roll Call.

I will continue to follow the Roll Call and look into more transportation info as well.

How many miles are we talking here from Port to Amsterdam. At this point we were thinking Canal Cruise, Anne Frank Museum as well as the Van Gogh Museum for a start.

Thanks again.

I asked this question over on the Europe boards as well trying to determine the best way to get to Amsterdam (you might still be able to find the thread titled "transportation from Imjuiden to Amsterdam" or something like that. Some of the local experts say it is about 1/2 hour drive.

Thanks. I will look for it.

Unfortunately, the only thing that comes up on the search, of course, is this thread.:eek:

Okay... so at this point, we are pretty sure Azamara is NOT interested on getting people into town?:confused:

If so, I will do what it takes to make this happen, as this is in my top three places to see on this cruise.;)

Thanks again.

We are tentatively booked for the same month, but Copenhagen-Norwegian Coast-Iceland. We are hoping for fare reduction, at least "balcony for the price of window". From what we can find out, the very similar voyage this July is only half full, but they are still not willing to cut fares. Perhaps soon they will offer specific specials through some agencies to fill the ship.

Archived