Is a detour to the town of Hope worth it?

bluetiger9192

We are driving from Anchorage to Seward (over the course of two days) not including the time spend in Anchorage or Seward. Is a detour to the town of Hope worth it? If so, what is there to do or see there? Thanks.

Not much there. Was a cafe there but at one point I know it was up for sale again. The trailhead for the Resurrection Trail is there. The population got so small they even had to close their school.

I've lived her cumulatively over almost 33 years and I've been to Hope I think maybe twice. Both times it was to fish.

Susan in Anchorage :)

I had read a lot of great reports on it - but to me it was a complete waste of time. Haven't yet figured out what we missed that the others thought was so great, unless it was just getting away from the regular tourist crowds.

Time may be better spent driving through the tunnel to Whittier and taking a boat trip into Prince William Sound. Without question, Whittier is one of Alaska's most unique towns just for location alone.

Other than hiking, the main reason I go to Hope is to see Turnagain Arm from another angle. If you are not interested in that....then don't go there. There is no safe acess to the shore line as there is MUCH quick sand.

A friend of mine who really wanted to get away from 'it all' retired there and lasted 4 years. Had to move back to Anhorage for medical care and shopping.

Archived