Glacier Trekking on Mendenhall With Above and Beyond

Middle Aged and Happy

It is a hard trek. If you know what you are doing (and they do check you out first) it is a wonderful experience that few visitors have.

If you are not fit and have no experience, it is not for you at any price and they likely will turn you away on the day.

Can you clarify what is good shape. We are all in our 50s, maybe carrying an extra 20 lbs than we would like but in relatively good health. We can all walk a good pace for 6-7 miles. Some of us did a fair amount of backpacking in our younger days. That being said, none of us are marathon runners, heavy duty rock climbers or entering the triathalon anytime soon. Should we consider this?

• 2 months later...

Hi there -- not sure if you are still considering this excursion since you first posted back in April but figured I would respond in case you haven't cruised yet and were still thinking about it (or if anyone else was curious ;))

I took this excursion last September and had an INCREDIBLE time. It is a stenuous trek and if you are not used to hiking, then I would not recommend it. However, if you can keep up with physical activity, then it is worth every penny of that $200pp cost.

You will hike for about 2-2.5 hours to the glacier + 1 hour on the glacier + 2 hours back. Some of the hike is on flat ground through the forest (beautiful greenery) and a portion is going up and downhill via switchbacks. On the return trip, you will be hiking on bedrock and there were some sections that I would describe as more of rock scrambling/bouldering. Only you can evaluate if you are up for this amount of physical activity.

I absolutely loved every moment on the glacier, checking out the ice caves, crevasses, and running water...but I also thoroughly enjoyed the hiking parts of it through the forest and by ponds and the rock scrambling at the end. The guides were great, narrating during the hike and providing help on the glacier itself.

If you are somewhere between average and excellent shape, I would say it is worth pushing yourself a little to do this tour. If you are worried about being able to keep up, I would contact them about a private tour. With a group of 4, the price per person might not be much more than the standard price and then you can go at your own pace and take a 5-minute breather if you need to.

My photos from Juneau (90% were from the glacier trek given that it took most of the day):

http://www.kodakgallery.com/gallery/creativeapps/slideShow/Main.jsp?token=659909753805%3A811130897

• 4 weeks later...

Excursion Review: Above and Beyond Alaska - Mendenhall Glacier Trek & Climb

( We did this excursion just last week July 14 , 2010 )

It was a challenge to choose what to do for our first visit to Juneau. Personally I had two main goals for my time there. One was to experience a glacier up close. The second was to enjoy photographing the experience and the scenery / landscape. Also part of our decision was based on price and the fact we were flight seeing in Ketchikan. We wanted to get onto a glacier without breaking the bank. So with that criterion we chose the Mendenhall Glacier Trek & Climb that A&BA offered.

Our guide met us on time , and introduced himself and drove us to the head of the trail , telling us about various landmarks along the way. They provided backpacks with gear ( crampons , ice axes, helmet, harness, water, snack ). He sized our packs and offered us rain gear they provided. The packs were not heavy.

The hike was challenging. The description is accurate, we thought maybe they embellished a bit when describing that you should have hiking foot ware not sneakers etc , they did not. Soon after the hike left the main trail we were grateful we had gotten out on a few hikes and spent some time on the treadmill.

Our guide gauged our pace, and stopped when necessary for some water and snacks. He was a local and knew the area and the landscape well. He was very informative and very personable. The information and experiences he shared added so much to our time. He was dedicated to ensuring we made the most of our time.

We arrived at the edge of the glacier and put on the harness , crampons, helmets , etc. After some instruction we stepped onto the glacier. It was amazing to be on it. He ensured we walked safely. He showed us a deep crevasse and explained the reason for the deep blue color of the ice, etc. We had time for some climbing, up a near vertical glacier wall and our guide was very encouraging and I was really glad to have tried it.

Our guide showed us to where a stream was eating into the glacier and formed a cave , and we descended into it. Seeing the inside / underside of a glacier like that was amazing.

Our time on the glacier had come to an end and we hiked back to the starting place. The main part of the hike gave us a chance to see a typical Alaskan rain forest. And it did rain the entire time ( from steady to a light drizzle ). The helicopters were not flying that day because of the reduced visibility from low cloud and fog and so we were among the very few that day that got to set foot on the glacier. The best views of course were when you emerged from the wooded areas and began the approach to the glacier.

So was I happy with the decision to take this excursion ? YES , would I choose the same one again if I could go back in time and do it over ? Yes. In an ideal world I imagined having a bit more time for photos. Our guide was very patient when I would pause to snap this or that. I have many beautiful snapshots of the scenery, and some wonderful mementoes of our time on the glacier !!

Above and Beyond were very responsive to questions and always replied quickly. I hope someday to return to Juneau and will not hesitate to book another adventure with them.

We went Flight Seeing in the Misty Fjords ( with a Lake Landing and explored the shore line ) it was beautiful. We also did a whale watching / marine tour in Sitka and I have beautiful photos from that adventure. But the Glacier Trek and Climb is the stand out memory for me. If i had to select only one of our adventures from that trip it would be this one.

( Regarding the difficulty level of the hike , my wife and I straddle 40 age wise. We are both fit but not fitness fanatics. Apart from short breaks the entire time is spent / hiking / walking. I would agree with the difficulty level described in some of the previous posts.)

Archived