First River Cruise any pointers

Hi, I am a newbie. I have previously sailed on 18 + cruise ships but decided (because I have been carrying around a Christmas market ad from Liberty Trvael for 2 years! ) to try the River Cruise Uniworld. Any insider pointers I should heed to? We have a category 1 so it is a good location.They say wine and soda pop included with dinner is that actually true? Also, all excursions are supossed to be part of my fee. Do they add gratuity like the large ships? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.KatyDo you eat at restuarants during day trips or sent back to the ship? :)

Will try to answer some of your questions. There is a dedicated board for River and Canal cruises. Many answers can be found there. Yes, wine and other drinks are included at dinner. Tours are included, there will probably be one or two optional trips. Uniworld remains our favorite line after 13 river cruises. The Christmas market cruises a very special--markets open for the Advent season and usually close on 23 Dec. Try posting on the river and canal board. You can use the search engine and find lots of threads about the Christmas markets. Pat

More info. Tips are not automatically put on your bill. Some lines will take credit cards, some want cash--for those I would have Euros. Most excursions are in the am--return for lunch and may go someplace else in afternoon. Just be sure to sample the fantastic sausages--each market's seem different and there is the glugwein. Pat

We never travel with a large amount of money--foreign or US. There are always ATMs at the airport. We each have our own bank cards and take out 200 euros. We bring an envelope and place the recommended tip in the envelope and place it in the safe. ATMs are plentiful in Europe. Your CD can give directions to them at various ports. Make sure you have a Visa or Mastercard and money in your checking account. Don't use the credit card function. You won't like the results when you get home. Also will need a 4 digit pin number and the bank needs to know where you will be for how long. Remember river cruiseing is very addictive. We will go on number 14 and 15 this year. You have picked our favorite river line--Uniworld. Pat

• 6 months later...

Archived