Live From The Sun!

cruiserforlife

Hi all --

Richard and Deb -- keep up the posts -- DW trying to get me to do Alaska -- old guy (me) not interested -- Have enough trouble getting out of bed much less hiking up (down) glaciers--

John and Sophie and Gerry and Lynne are joining us on the Sun -- 10/21 and 10/31 -- Rum Punch:) wanna go?

Nice day all -- Earl

Live from the Sun in Skagway! I think we see some thing that looks like the sun in the sky today. It's been cloudy the whole cruise with periods of rain and showers.

Trip up to the glacier was AWESOME!! We spent 2 hours hiking the glacier and then back to Juneau by helicopter. If your in good shape you'll never forget it.

Today we helicopter up to Glacier Point for a 5 mile hike and the then take the train back to Skagway.

Service is great, food good. Tonight is crab.:D :D

Yes,thanks for the "live" post!

Well...all that hiking should help you build up a great appetite for lots and lots of crab....yum yum!:D

ENJOY,

CFL

listening to all the hiking and talk of the rum punches, ( the best Rum Punches in the Cruising Fleet! ) Makes me want to do a Alaskian Cruise! Keep it up we might book one! Really any reason to get on the Sun!

Enjoy

On June 11th, we will be embarking on a cruise on the Sun. Needless to say, we can't wait!!

There is a small "roll call" group here on the board, and we would like to arrange a meeting shortly after we sail. Any recommendations for a good lounge type area to gather and meet??

Thanks!

Kim

We are on the SUn in December and we were assigned today from a GTY to an assigned cabin, we are A311, this is forward and on the right. How are the balconies on the Sun in regards to size and since we are on the right side and sailng from Fort Lauderdale to the southern carribean is this the best side to be on? Oh, are the balconies covered??

Thanks

we were on the Sun last year to Alaska but we had an oceanview not a balcony

We are on the SUn in December and we were assigned today from a GTY to an assigned cabin, we are A311, this is forward and on the right. How are the balconies on the Sun in regards to size and since we are on the right side and sailng from Fort Lauderdale to the southern carribean is this the best side to be on? Oh, are the balconies covered??

Thanks

we were on the Sun last year to Alaska but we had an oceanview not a balcony

All of the balcony cabins on the sun are the same size and are fully covered. About 3 1/2-4 feet wide and the length of the cabin. Enough room for a small round table and two chairs.

Since you never know what side of the ship will be facing port, it is very hard to say whether the starboard (right side) or the port (left side) of the ship would be better.

Easy way to remember this is that left has FOUR letters and so does PORT. Easy to remember the ship term that way.

A question for cruisers on the Sun -

My DH are planning our honeymoon trip on the July 2nd sailing of the Sun. While perusing the boards, I have learned of fellow cruisers getting great deals on "Thermal Suites" - weeklong passes, treatments, etc., in the spa. Does the Sun Princess offer these services, or anything similar? Any help is much appreiciated.

Thanks!

-Vanessa

Hi. We are taking the July 9th Alaska cruise and I was curious does anyone know if the Sun has covered/indoor pools or heated outdoor pools? Thanks,

Poohbeargirl06

Heated outside pools...yes (3 I believe)

Covered inside pools...no

Well, as I post this, the Sun should be headed towards Victoria....

I am glad this thread is here, it will give me a good place to visit while waiting for the next 80-some-odd days to pass until WE BOARD THE SUN!!!

One thing that has got me fired up is that the SUN sure seems to have its fans, which is good to know, considering an 11 year-old ship. I know we loved the Golden, and I am curious to see this class of ship.

Good Thread, folks... Thanks!

Bill

Hello, all. Live from the Sun!

Sorry I haven't posted all week but it's been very busy. No MUTS or rock climbing wall on the Sun. I agree with some of Rich & Deb's comments, but not all. Buffet food not so great and DR food is standard, but we've had not very good service in the DR at all. We've had a different team in the Marquis DR each night for Anytime Dining and it's the worst service I've ever had on a ship! No refilling of water or iced tea unless asked. Waiting a long time to receive iced tea, not even asked if you wanted something to drink if you weren't ordering from the bar. We finally found one good waiter last night night and saw him again today for lunch in the DR. Will try to return to him tonight. His name is Supachai. I've also encountered poor service in the Horizon Court. I've also heard this from several different people on the ship. One of the TA's who is on the ship for a fam trip reported to her district manager of her poor service and was brushed off with a comment that "Americans expect too much". She said he really didn't seem to be concerned with her comments. The crew member working the toast station for breakfast in the HC made me feel like I was really troubling him when I asked him to put my english muffin through the toaster again. Overall I've not found the staff to be warm or friendly at all, with a few exceptions. One, being my stateroom attendant, Rhondiel. He is one of the best we've had and I filled out a card noting him for special attention. The entertainment has been OK. I haven't seen any of the production shows, only the welcome aboard show. I was surprised at how small the Princess Theater was, however it was quite comfortable with excellent sight lines. The comedian onboard, Phil Tag was hilarious. If he's onboard your sailing, don't miss him!

OK, I'll post more when I return, let me know if you have any more questions.

Just got off the Sun. I think the service was excellent. Room steward, Emannuel always avaliable, he knew we like limes in our drinks and brought us fresh ones every day. We had PC dinning, and the same table, 96, every night at 8:00 PM. The server Mauro and Richard where great. They knew we like just bread stick so they were there every night, no bread.

The ship is in excellent shape for being 11 years old.

The weather was mostly cloudy and rain:mad:. It was our first and probably last trip to Alaska. We did enjoy our trek on the glacier and a five mile wilderness hike, but the only ice we wanna see is in our drinks.

Hope those on the next cruise have better weather, but it's rainning right now in Seattle.

Hi Earl,

Yeah table 96 is for 2 in the Marquis Dinning room. We seem to be able to get that table all the time on the Sun class ships.;)

You know we would jump at the chance to cruise with you all again but we will be on the TP.

Richard

Hi. We are taking the July 9th Alaska cruise and I was curious does anyone know if the Sun has covered/indoor pools or heated outdoor pools? Thanks,

Poohbeargirl06

There is a pool at the spa that is covered but it isn't indoor.

Let us know if you have more questions.:D

I had a couple of quick questions, if you would be so kind.

This is my DH and my first cruise - celebrating our honeymoon. What are some Sun Princess features that we should not miss? It can be culinary, activities, entertainment, a combination of things, whatever. (It doesn't have to be ONLY on Sun Princess, of course, since we are new to cruising in general.)

Also, what time is Breakfast and Lunch in the dining room, if you know.

Thanks so much - we really enjoyed hearing about the trip!

-Vanessa

I had a couple of quick questions, if you would be so kind.

This is my DH and my first cruise - celebrating our honeymoon. What are some Sun Princess features that we should not miss? It can be culinary, activities, entertainment, a combination of things, whatever. (It doesn't have to be ONLY on Sun Princess, of course, since we are new to cruising in general.)

Also, what time is Breakfast and Lunch in the dining room, if you know.

Thanks so much - we really enjoyed hearing about the trip!

-Vanessa

Vanessa,

I have not been on the Sun, but have been on the Golden Princess, and I would say be sure to do a late night Hot Tub, We found the decks to be empty after about 10:30.

Also, don't hesitate to ask for a third plate to share if you really like the entree'.

Princess Pizza is known to be very good.

Explore all the public areas of the ship, you may find some little hideaway lounge that seems like just your own.

Try Personal Choice dining, and when you show up, ask to be seated with a table of 6 or 8. Conversation and your table mates are sure to be memorable.

Mainly, since it is your first cruise (and your honeymoon), the best advice I can give is relax, go with the flow, and don't sweat the small stuff.... just as surely as there will be wonderful things big and small, there will likely be some element that isn't exactly right. Some things they can fix, some they can't.

I suspect you will have a blast. I sure hope to in 84 days!

Bill

We are just off the Sun yesterday. Oh what a blast. The CD at this time is John Clefon?, not sure of the spelling. then the AC is Julie and the rest of the gang is Liam, Blinda(she is leaving this week), Ash, Dan and Alissa from the USA. They are alot of fun. We loved the ship, although it can be tricky to get through from one end to another unless you use deck 7. A little slower pace then the Carribean cruises but wonderful so you don't feel like you are missing anything while watching the view. We saw lots of wildlife even from our ship. Eagles, whales, seals. the naturalist was great to point out things and did a splended job. We love Princess and have booked the Star in Dec.

redrn13,

Glad you enjoyed the Sun and congrats on your Star booking...you'll love the Star as well.

gvre,

Despite the beauty of Alaska...you couldn't get my wife to go on a cruise unless she could be on a beautiful beach sipping an umbrella drink:D ...so I hear what you're saying about the weather.

Glad no MUTS or rockclimbing wall.;)

We are just off the Sun yesterday. Oh what a blast. The CD at this time is John Clefon?, not sure of the spelling. then the AC is Julie and the rest of the gang is Liam, Blinda(she is leaving this week), Ash, Dan and Alissa from the USA. They are alot of fun. We loved the ship, although it can be tricky to get through from one end to another unless you use deck 7. A little slower pace then the Carribean cruises but wonderful so you don't feel like you are missing anything while watching the view. We saw lots of wildlife even from our ship. Eagles, whales, seals. the naturalist was great to point out things and did a splended job. We love Princess and have booked the Star in Dec.

Glad you enjoyed your cruise!! Sounds like alot of the same crew we had in Feb....John Clelford and Julie were there, as well as Liam....is the Dan you speak of 'DJ DAN' from the UK?? Just curious as we spoke with him alot, and his contract was being extended for a month when we left...maybe that became longer:) LOL

Sounds like the wildlife you saw was great!!

S

Archived