Packing for Feb weather Help!

khcamp

I haven't sailed in February yet (but will in 20 days). If you are sailing out of a Florida port, they are having an unusually cold winter. Marathon Key hit a low of 37 (with wind chill) one day last week. When we sailed the Eastern Caribbean in December 2003, it was also very cold in South Florida. The weather at sea and in two of the ports (St. Maarten and St. Thomas) was perfect! In the low 80's with little humidity and beautiful blue skies. However, when we got to Princess Cays (Bahamas) we encountered that cold spell. Overcast skies and too cold to swim. We stayed a couple of days in Fort Lauderdale after the cruise and froze (no heater in the hotel). We ended up buying heavy sweatshirts, because we didn't plan for it to be cold. So I would watch the weather and pack a sweatshirt and jeans if this cold winter continues into next month.

We have previously sailed in Feb, and packed lots of shorts, but some pants for night. We wore shorts and tank tops at all the ports, but I had 1 sweatshirt and one pair of jeans, and some nicer pants for dinner. Now this winter is wierd, so check with weather.com before you sail and see what they are predicting....not that the weathermen are always right! And we flew back into Michigan at night, and silly me wore shorts (in denial I guess)!!! I was freezing!!!!!

We have always cruised in Jan. or Feb as that's when we can get away from work. We are leaving 02/06 for our next cruise.

We've always worn jeans and tennis shoes on the plane to cut down on weight in suitcase, but pack shorts in our carry-on. We do lots of water activities and have been fine. The water sometimes is a bit cool but I just love it so much it doesn't stop me!

I agree, the best thing to do is check http://www.weather.com and look for the10-day forecast. I know right now in San Diego it's like 65, which is cool! I do always carry a long sleaved T-shirt, but just never have enough room for a sweatshirt (weight wise). Yes, I pack all the "stuff" a lot of cruisers pack as I like to have all my "stuff" with me if I want it.

Just one tip for you: I love my backpack when going on the excursions. Never thought I'd like it - but now I'm a beliver!!! AMEN!!!

I cruised last February and was burning up in Mexico, Belize, Cayman...

In florida you may need a sweater and long pants. On the ship you may need that as well, as far as the ports...It was comparable to a florida summer. Hot humid and sunny with warm water at th beach.

Archived