lots of women, no men

perthorchid

i almost booked my first cruise as a solo but i finaly managed to convince someone from my family to come with me

may be in 2012 i might go solo for a cruise in alaska

as for dancing, i dont know about men, but me, i am a horrible dancer and i am kind of scared of making myself an idiot, but unlike other people i know, if a woman ask me for a dance, i wont turn her down. but i am not very brave and i am rarely the one to make a first step for fear of being perceived as a stalker

I have met single male cruisers of all ages on Carnival and to a lesser extent on Royal Caribbean- though there are definitely more solo women then men onboard.

My experience has been that men tend to travel with others - either friends or family as opposed to being solo - and so they don't end up sitting at a "singles table" for dinner the way that women do.

I run across them through other cruisers that notice I'm alone and comment on other solo travelers they've met on the ship...or at the lobby or martini bar having a before dinner drink...or on the top deck taking pictures. (I find that hobbyist photographers are particularly friendly and welcoming to conversations with strangers)

And there's always checking out the photo gallery for pictures that only have one person in them.

They come in all ages - and they are out there.

Em

i am myself a hobbist photographer, and i dont know about cruise, since my first cruise in only two month away, but i've been on a battleship and many stranger did indeed came to talk to me while i was busy taking picture and i took lots of pleasure in engaging them in conversation

From my experience, the more mature male cruisers seem to like lines such as Crystal or Seabourn. I've met quite a number of solo men, all 50 and older, on those lines. I've rarely met solo men in that age group on Celebrity or Princess. Perhaps the 50-somethings are still too career involved?

I've just finished reading this entire thread and though I consider myself aware of the ways of the world, I can't say I've been aware of some of the things I've read here. I'm a relatively healthy 51 year old out-doorsman. When I decided that a cruise would be a wonderful thing to do I never thought about meeting single women on a cruise. LOL. Heck, just the other day I was telling my boss that though the math suggest that there are more single women my age, I can't say that I've been able to specifically identify one in years; it's as if they are in hiding. I haven't tried or not tried to meet anybody in a long time. I'm just a happy and well adjusted guy who goes on about his day to day business and rarely thinks of these things. I do like women and I suppose I would, for the purpose of this conversation, qualify as an eligible bachelor. Without ever having considered some of these things before, I still might be able make accurate statements about some of these things.

First, the two things that will get the rest of my posts ignored by most women here. 1) I don't like to dance because I've never known what it was for. 2) I didn't like the dating game when I was a handsome 22 year old because I thought it was just that, a game. Those things being said, I like women very much. But I couldn't see me being sat down at a table with 6 single women my age by a Matre'd who is seating 7 single people for the purpose of mixing up 7 single people for singles meeting singles sake. That would scare me to death. Even if none of the women were there to put a single guy under scrutiny, how could he not be under scrutiny considering the meeting was set up for scrutiny from the start? At the same time, I'd probably very much enjoy a chance meeting with the great majority of the same people at that arranged seating.

I had hoped to meet people on my cruise but when considering that I thought a family to adopt me for shore excursions or other old guys like me or a cute young couple for the day or yes, a single lady but all parties were given the same fleeting consideration. Now that I know there will be 4 times the single women on my cruises than there are men I'd have to say.....I'm Capricorn. I love tall drinks with umbrellas in them and long walks on the beach. My number is 555......

LOL

Anyway, there are a bunch of us who don't like to dance but there are also a bunch of us who don't like smoke or to drink allot. Some of us don't even watch organized sports all day Sunday. Now that I've discovered that I'm the smallest cruising demographic I'll have to tell folks here that I my vision of this single male solo cruiser is sitting on the serenity deck in the shade during the day smelling the salt air, exploring whatever during shore excursions because I'm an explorer and eating fresh sea food at every turn because I live in the desert and haven't tasted good sea food in years. And because I'm an avid hiker and wilderness backpacker, I'm especially excited to think that the full moon cruise I've booked will see me on deck at 72 degrees with spotty clouds and a light breeze and a moon coming up out of the ocean the size of a frying pan at arm’s length. To me, these things are why this single solo guy is cruising.

I've said it in other threads here today, I'm very proud of the single women who will venture out into the world and just do.

I don't know if any of this rant means a thing to anybody but I appreciate ya letting a regular 'ol Joe have the time. LOL.

Well said!

My first solo is next year! and have gotten people asking why. Why not.. Looking forward to it. I have loved travelling with family and friends.. but so looking forward to finding that leather chair by the window and reading and watching the world go by.

408434314_Alaska183.jpg.ea409237d01fd5fd8085ea64fb7b0c1b.jpg

Im 57 and have met lots of singles over the years . Ive been on 20 cruises in the last 10 years . I agree with all male posters above. I dont go to singles get togethers . Iv looked in on a few and there were no guys at the last 10 ive been on . What was funny was I met proably over 20 single guys on each of the last 10 cruises . I met them in the cassino or at dinner or on tours . We all said the same thing . None of us were looking to hook up with someone . THE BIG REASON is at our age if we met someone we liked how would we even see them again . Im from michigan .On my cruise last Jan I ate every night with a modle from canida who felt the same . We went on tours together and played in the cassino but thats as far as eather of us wanted . I would never sugest a cruise to any single looking for a lasting relationship. If you want someone to eat with or go with on tours you shouldnt have a problem . My last cruise I set up a cruise for 9 of us from my military unit. WE traveled single together 5 of which were single not solo . All 5 singles did find someone on ship to hang out with , BUT non of us dance . I think the popularity of dancing was before our time . Even way back in highschool a lot of us didnt dance . Sometimes I would dance a few with my date because i knew she wanted to but even back then It wasnt high on my list . My wife never cared to dance eather , but we traveled the world and went to concerts and had fun . One big thing today is most men dont want to seem agressive asking someone out . At our age , IM 57 I would rather have the Lady make the 1st move . Act friendy , smile , DONT ask to dance , I met Loraine from Canida playing slots in the cassino. She struck up a conversation and we had fun for the 14 day cruise . I can afford to go on any cruise line as money isnt a factor , but I dont splurge on the higher end cruises like Cristal . Id rather go on 2 or 3 cruises on RCI for the same price .I prefer to eat the 1st few days in the MDR but then I switch to the specialty restrants . And yes I paid for my guest to eat with me in the grill every night . I invited her and Im still a gentelman .You would be amased how many people try to set up single men at our age . I could go out every night with a diferent lady here at home . Right now its not what Im looking for . But maybe if you never know . I have a single friend who is 83 who has 5 50 to 70 yr . olds he is dating . And yes a 57 yr old wants a 30 to 40 yr old . My wife was 6 yrs younger than me . I didnt marry till I was 26 . CARL

I've done a lot of research on the ship I'm sailing on (including YouTube) and I found a spot on deck 3, just under the overhang of the lifeboats that will be an ideal spot to read, look out at the sea, take mini naps and maybe have a drink or two (although I'd have to go and get it from the bar rather than be waited on...not a problem). I may watch some of the goings-on on Lido deck just for a lark, but after the novelty of that wears off, I'll be nosing around the ship for a quiet spot. I do intend to eat well, do one or two excursions (especially St. Maarten, which is why I chose Carnival and that itinerary), and forget all the other 3,000 pax onboard. Not because I'm antisocial, but because I need the "me time" and to unwind. I'll likely have my meals with other singles or couples and that's not a problem..I'm friendly...I don't want to go to any singles meet and greets though, because I'm past the age for such things. These days I barely look up from my book when a cute guy walks by (I swear I'm not dead yet, but I'm waaay too tired these days to even bother looking). :p

Just returned from the Nov. 1 sailing of the Grandeur and there were a ton of solo male travelers. Age range from 30-70 plus. I met some really great people, male and female. Funny thing with RCI though they sat all the solo women together and all the solo men together at dinner. Weird. :rolleyes:

Hi all

I have always travelled solo, only occasionally with some friends, and have always met alot of people and had fun

I do ballroom dancing and it is in my blood along iwth the cruising hence my name here.

Alot of the other single guys just don't get into the groups and circulate to obviously look single.

As an outgoing 44 year old aussie, and a dancer I find it easy to strike up conversation and meet others, but yes sometimes it is difficult as the singles tend to sometimes hide on deck in books.

We should all talk more and meet others on the ships as on some through the singles events have formed alot of good friendships (not for hooking up but friends alone)

Hope to catch you on a cruise, maybe as a group

Cheers

Greg:)

• 1 month later...

This will be only my second cruise, the first one was over last Thanksgiving, 10 days on the Emerald Princess. While I loved the crusiing experience, I took my mother and she sort of hindered what I wanted to do, never used my mask and snorkle once as she was not interested in the water. This time, I found a last minute deal through Delta and will be on my own. Chose only 5 nights just to get my feet wet (no pun intended) and see how I like it alone. I am not looking for other singles, just the freedom to do what I want when I want. Actually, I am looking forward to the solitude of the relaxation of the cruise, gazing out at the water, snorkling, dining when and where I want. Not wild about the singles "up" fee, did book a balcony just because I love sleeping with the door open and hearing the water. I guess my only concern is I will have no one to watch my stuff when I am swimming...Not a big deal, I will figure it out as I go. Very excited

Im 57 and have met lots of singles over the years . Ive been on 20 cruises in the last 10 years . I agree with all male posters above. I dont go to singles get togethers . Iv looked in on a few and there were no guys at the last 10 ive been on . What was funny was I met proably over 20 single guys on each of the last 10 cruises . I met them in the cassino or at dinner or on tours . We all said the same thing . None of us were looking to hook up with someone . THE BIG REASON is at our age if we met someone we liked how would we even see them again . Im from michigan .On my cruise last Jan I ate every night with a modle from canida who felt the same . We went on tours together and played in the cassino but thats as far as eather of us wanted . I would never sugest a cruise to any single looking for a lasting relationship. If you want someone to eat with or go with on tours you shouldnt have a problem . My last cruise I set up a cruise for 9 of us from my military unit. WE traveled single together 5 of which were single not solo . All 5 singles did find someone on ship to hang out with , BUT non of us dance . I think the popularity of dancing was before our time . Even way back in highschool a lot of us didnt dance . Sometimes I would dance a few with my date because i knew she wanted to but even back then It wasnt high on my list . My wife never cared to dance eather , but we traveled the world and went to concerts and had fun . One big thing today is most men dont want to seem agressive asking someone out . At our age , IM 57 I would rather have the Lady make the 1st move . Act friendy , smile , DONT ask to dance , I met Loraine from Canida playing slots in the cassino. She struck up a conversation and we had fun for the 14 day cruise . I can afford to go on any cruise line as money isnt a factor , but I dont splurge on the higher end cruises like Cristal . Id rather go on 2 or 3 cruises on RCI for the same price .I prefer to eat the 1st few days in the MDR but then I switch to the specialty restrants . And yes I paid for my guest to eat with me in the grill every night . I invited her and Im still a gentelman .You would be amased how many people try to set up single men at our age . I could go out every night with a diferent lady here at home . Right now its not what Im looking for . But maybe if you never know . I have a single friend who is 83 who has 5 50 to 70 yr . olds he is dating . And yes a 57 yr old wants a 30 to 40 yr old . My wife was 6 yrs younger than me . I didnt marry till I was 26 . CARL

OK Buddy, you've aroused my ire.

I realize that this is a forum about cruising. However, I just must react to the above -- I am sooo tired of old guys thinking they have a right to a much younger woman.

My husband is 5 yrs younger than me. And I must say that I have several women friends that are all about the same age -- & the biggest problem they have is finding a guy who can keep up w/ them. They are all vital, in shape, look great, are active ..... and the men their own age seem 'old' to them. And act it. They end up dating guys much younger. But of course, for a long term relationship it's much better w/ someone nearer your age, because you share life experiences & have similar frames of reference. And they would love to find someone more age appropriate but still vital. Unfortunately, the guys their age either act like old farts or want 30 yr olds.I know this will probably piss off many people but here goes: Let's be honest, most guys in their late 50's or 60's do not look like Paul Newman or Harrison Ford did at that age. Therefore, in my experience, when a 30 yr old woman is w/ a 57 yr old guy, she's not in love w/ him but w/ his wallet and/or connections/power, etc. Sorry.

Anyway it seems to me from what I see that men are much more likely to get old-farty & stuck in their ways than women.

Perhaps you're the exception that proves the rule!

I have learned that there two types of solo travellers. There are those who really would prefer cruising with a friend, but circumstances don't allow it, and there are those who truly relish being on their own.

I don't consider myself anti-social or anything but, for me, solo means solo. Aside from the cruise itself, the best part of the trip is the time to myself. I've got friends and family that I could easily cajole into joining me and, if they were the type of people that wouldn't mind the extra cost of booking their own cabin and spending the majority of the cruise on their own as well, I'd gladly have them along.

As far as making new friends aboard ship, I have no problem with that as long as it doesn't become a "joined-at-the-hip-we're-both-solo-so-we-should-stick-together" sort of thing. I tend to shy away from any solo-themed gatherings and, to be honest, I don't think I've ever even noticed whether or not there were any other solos aboard.

On my first solo cruise, I had Traditional dining and was seated at a large table. One of my tablemates was an older gentleman whose wife had passed away the previous year. They had already planned the cruise (it would have their 25th cruise) and she made him promise to go without her. On the second night of the cruise we were the only ones at the table. There were nights when I wanted to skip dinner, or dine at one of the specialty restaurants, or just "buffet it", but the thought of him at that big table all by himself just broke my heart. I was happy that I could help make a difficult week just a bit easier for him, but the selfish part of me wished that I didn't feel so obligated.

That being said, my next cruise is my first that will be longer than seven days and it will include eight sea days. This will be my "litmus test" of solo-dom;)

I'm a 77 year old recent widower and living alone in a big house. I always wanted to go on a cruise but my wife was severely hearing impaired and couldn't function in a group. She also had food allergies so we couldn't go out to eat. So now I'm looking forward to a singles cruise on Carnival in March so I can get back in the world. I'm disgustingly healthy and fit for an old geezer, so I guessI can dance. Haven't danced in years, but I wouldn't resist if asked. Three early mornings a week, me and a couple of my retired neighbors walk four miles around the local golf course to keep the juices flowing. I tend to be introverted but loosen up a little bit after a couple of beers - rarely touch the hard stuff. Play the piano a little but I probably will spend time around the piano bar listening to a pro. My budget will allow me about two cruises a year, so if I like this one I'll take a Princess cruise to Alaska at the end of July.

Hello everyone my name is Tanya and i will be taking my first solo cruise this summer on the Carnival Magic to Europe , I am not new to cruising i have been on 3 other Carnival Cruise and one Disney Cruise. After trying for over a year to get a family member or friend to go with me I came to the decision to go solo. Like many other i am very nerves about going alone, especially so far away but i believe the closer i get to my sail date(July 17,2011) the less nerves i will be. I will turning 41 on this cruise, with not friends or family to share my big day with i.m sure i will make new friends to help me celebrate. So if any one has taking a solo cruise to Europe all tips and advise will be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Hello everyone my name is Tanya and i will be taking my first solo cruise this summer on the Carnival Magic to Europe , I am not new to cruising i have been on 3 other Carnival Cruise and one Disney Cruise. After trying for over a year to get a family member or friend to go with me I came to the decision to go solo. Like many other i am very nerves about going alone, especially so far away but i believe the closer i get to my sail date(July 17,2011) the less nerves i will be. I will turning 41 on this cruise, with not friends or family to share my big day with i.m sure i will make new friends to help me celebrate. So if any one has taking a solo cruise to Europe all tips and advise will be greatly appreciated. Thank you

What are your ports? I've been on at least 10 European cruises and can give you pointers on which ports you can do on your own and which you may want to take an organized tour.

Tell them in the dining room about your birthday. The crew should sing to you.

Archived