Costa cruise - which Yemen excursion?

intrepid23

Trying to decide which Yemen excursion to do... Aden or Taiz? If anyone has done either as part of their Costa cruise, we would love to hear some feedback.

Has anyone, ever just wandered around Aden by themselves? Or used a local tour guide ( if there is such a thing?)

I can only partially answer your question. I can relate my Yemen experiences from my Costa Europa cruise back in Dec. 2007. Things were different then - the political situation was calm - and the excursion offerings much better. Costa called the excursion "San'a Overland." We disembarked at Salif on the Red Sea coast and by Land Rover drove via Al-Hudayda up through the Hartz mountains to the capital, San'a. It was a strenuous all day trip along a steep winding mountain road and our driver gave no heed to other traffic, passing on curves, cutting along the right edge of the road (no guard rails) with drop-offs of hundreds of meters, pleasantly listening to Arab music and munching his qat. We visited two fantastically lovely towns along the way and had lunch Yemenite style all sitting on cushions on the floor of a road house. In San'a our oasis was the Movenpick hotel, a beautiful five-star. The next morning we were given a couple hours' tour of San'a and then on the road again south to Aden. Same all day dusty drive, stopping at Ibb and Jibla where we had lunch. It was dark when we arrived at Aden and entered the port to find our beautiful white, clean Costa Europa waiting for us. The Yemen I saw was a starkly beautiful country with rugged mountains, green valleys (growing qat), architecturally beautiful villages, friendly people, good shopping opportunities, BUT it was filthy. Trash and red plastic bags blowing all over. You hardly see a man that didn't have a wad of qat in his mouth, chewing and spitting. Took some getting used to.

Regarding your question, Aden or Ta'izz. I didn't see Ta'izz at all but know it is a unique town well worth visiting. It was dark when we passed through Aden but it's a vast sprawling port city, much more cosmopolitan than San'a or any other town we passed through. Basically the same as any other large port in that part of the world. To get a taste of Yemen I would definitely opt for Ta'izz. It's shadowed by a 3,000 meter mountain if I recall my studies and has several souqs (markets) for shopping. Yemen is one of those once-in-a-lifetime experiences that you'll always remember, both the good and the bad. I would recommend the ship's excursion over a local private tour. Take a little bottle of sanitizing gel and keep your hands clean. Don't judge or be shocked by what you'll see, remembering it's their country and their culture. In short, go for it!

I was there 2 years ago on the Costa Marina it is one of the worst hell holes I have seen I did the Aden tour there were workers around the town in brand new overalls waving to us with great smiles we guessed that they were plain clothes police

The ship berthed on a corner of the docks containers made a baracade and only a space large enough for a coach was left open this had armed guards

the water side had armed guards partolling all day in small boats

We have travelled all over the world and this was the scariest place I have been

My advice to you is book a spa treatment whilst in this port they are usually cheaper when in port and relax you certainly wont relax if you go ashore and there really is nothing in Aden but poverty etc.

Archived