Shuttle or TWT based on comfort?

henny

I've read through several posts on the shuttle vs. TWT but haven't found an answer to my question. Very possible it's out there but didn't happen to come up with the choices of search words I used.

I would prefer to do the shuttle tour in Denali based on price, let alone the recommendations here. My concern is my Mom has a bad back and bad roads are not the easiest on her but she really wants to do Denali tour. So how much better are the seats on the TWT for comfort? Is it worth the extra money for comfort on the TWT - will she notice a difference? If there isn't a very noticable difference between the two buses and we did the shuttle and it is just too rough for her I figured we could get off at an earlier stop and take a different shuttle back (I would probably go with her and let my Dad and my family continue on).

I guess I'm wondering is it a difference of school bus seats on the shuttle and greyhound bus type seats on the TWT? Or do they both have school bus seats and the TWT just have a little more padding but are basically school bus seats?

Unless something has changed this year, they're basically school bus seats on both the shuttle and the TWT. Some of the TWT busses do have a camera/video system for viewing wildlife up close.

The tour buses do have more comfortable seats. You could book the TWT, and if it becomes too long, you just ditch the tour, and get a shuttle bus heading back.

Shuttle buses are school bus seats.

Does anyone have pictures from their TWT of the inside of the bus? I'm trying to get an idea of how much more comfortable the seats are. BQ can you describe the difference in the seats?

It's a big price difference and as we'll be purchasing 4 tickets and my parents 2 that adds up. However, I don't want to sacrifice for price if it will make a difference between my Mom having an enjoyable day or being miserable.

Well, I sort of have the reputation on the board as the guy who likes his comfort.

Let me put it this way -- the seats on the TWT bus we were on were individual padded seats with arm rests. To describe them as "Greyhound" seats would be going overboard, though. They are not the comfortable reclining seats that the big tour buses have, but they are definitely a large step above "school bus" style seats.

IMAO, the TWT is a very looooooong tour. I really am not very comfortable on school bus seats for a short transfer. Sitting on them for 6 hours or more would be impossible for me. Honestly I found sitting in the TWT padded seats to be less than comfortable over the bumpy roads for that long period.

I would tend to say that even though the cost difference seems large, in the overall picture of your Alaska trip it is really only a very small percentage of the whole cost of the trip. I think anybody who is not agile, fit, and healthy would be better on the TWT than the shuttles I saw.

In addition, the TWT cameras that magnify 100x are a huge advantage. Most of the wildlife sightings are of the "What's that dot on the hillside?" type until the guide puts the camera on them. Unless you get really lucky, on the shuttle you are going to need a very good pair of binox.

YMMV.

My husband has a bad back and cannot do either. His last trip into Denali was on TWT and he made it clear it was his last try to do that. He had a perfect day for it with great views and animals but it took him a long time to get over it.

It is a long day!

At the very least take along your own really good seat and back cushions.

Archived