Tipping ??????

A&G

When to tip and when not to tip??? We have been on a couple of cruises and understand the gratuity added to the final bill thing and on this next cruise we have prepaid the gratuities. However our experience is that room service still hangs around waiting for a tip. Table waiters on the last night hang around like flys waiting for a tip and suddenly you see the cabin steward for the first time on the last day. So please what is the protocol? Who do we tip, who don't we tip?

Alan

If the tips have been prepaid, they are pre paid for your cabin service(cleaning) and waiter(your dining room staff), I thought that if they were prepaid they should still issue you the vouchers that show you have left the tips already which you can hand out on the last night-just as if you allowed the optional tipping charges to be added to your account. Most people do tip room service USD one or two dollars depending on how much your order. Also some of us tip extra if the service has been excellent. If you are not getting a voucher you should check and see if the tips were really included(IMO)

Vouchers? What vouchers? :eek: I have received my cruise documents but no vouchers. So these vouchers, who do I know who to give them to? I guess they come with a book of instructions or do I have to do a course on tipping 101? :p No doubt I will sort it all out. You have helped emmensly (sp??) I will now be on the lookout for vouchers delivered to the cabin or I will inquire at the pursers desk...thank you. :)

Alan

Just so everyone is clear on this when you put your tips on you seapass account, on the last full day, you will recieve in your room, envelopes and vouchers that say waiter, asst waiter and cabin attendant(and I think MaitreD). These vouchers signify that your tips have been paid and you give them to the person just like they contained cash- as I stated I normally tend to add some cash as well. I assume that if you prepaid the tips this would also be supplied. If you just get the envelopes without the vouchers(or what ever you call them)- it means that the records don't reflect that the tips have been prepaid...

OK, thanks....quite a different system to Carnival Conquest that we experienced this time last year. The "Sign and Sail" card was debited with gratuities on the last night of the cruise but no vouchers. One just presumed it got split up somehow. What this meant, and because you had nothing to give your table waiter for example, was that many tipped again in cash. I think I like the RCL system better.

Alan

Archived