Kauai Beaches - Tunnels or Kee?

stevecw

We have rented a car for the stop at Kauai, and plan to get the car as soon as we get off the POA and head north. I want to drive up all the way and snorkel/swim before it gets too crowded, and then work my way back to the ship for dinner. I have heard that Kee gets extremely crowed and has parking issues. I have also heard there can be parking issues at Tunnels beach, but the snorkling is better. Need advice from folks that have been there and done that. Also - any recomendations on what else to stop and see on the way back? We've been to Kauai before and have seen quite a bit on the south 1/2 of the island, done the helicopter and Fern Grotto area tours, but have never been up to the north end. Also looking for a good place somewhere up north for lunch. I appreciate any help you can offer.

We were there last month and Kee can be impossible to get a parking place. We stopped at tunnels and Kee but desided to spend our beach time at Hanelai Bay. We didn't snoekle any of the beaches. We did walk about 1.5 miles of the Kalalau trail. If you are looking for a place to eat we ate ate at the Kalypso Bar and Grill. Great food. We sat on the patio in front of the restaurant and enjoyed watching the people come and go.

P1020853.jpg

I should have a trip report in a couple of days.

Ke'e, sad to say (at least last summer) had clear water but poor snorkeling, there just weren't a lot of coral and fish. It is, however, a gorgeous view down the Na Pali coast.

Yes, Tunnels parking is tough, but you can just drive to Haena and park there. it's about 1/4 mile or less. What we did was drop people and stuff off at one of the real Tunnels access points and I'd just go park and walk back to the others on the beach. tough life.

Tunnels for snorkeling is far superior, one of the finest in the state if you go out far enough. The only caveat is to make sure the conditions are good. In summer they tend to be okay. In winter the conditions are almost always too rough.

One other possibility is Pali Ke Kua beach, or Hideaways, in Princeville. Quite excellent snorkeling.

Archived