Anyone remember Eastern Airlines, TWA, Panam, Braniff, and the list goes on. All were majors that started with Chap 11. USair came out of bankruptcy I think in Jan. They are not finacially well and I wouldn't be surprised to see them back in court by the end of the year. United probably cannot meet the schedule set by the creditors and the court and have not met requirements for an additional government loan. Much infighting between Delta employee groups because of the pilot's refusal to accept a 30% pay cut. They are the highest paid pilots of the industry by a large percentage. All the groups seem to have what they see as a valid point. The majors will have to depend largely on their foreign routes in the future. I think Continental, Northwest and American are in the best shape of all the majors. They are all having great difficulty in dealing with the loss of domestic business that is going to the low cost carriers. Example, Airtran is the second largest carrier in number of flights from Atlanta, the busiest aiport now. AirTran has 110 planes on order from Boeing and JetBlue has 100 planes on order from Aerbus. Both lines are consistantly profitable while all the majors are bleeding. The business is changing and those that don't learn from the consumer, will fail. Just my opinion but I do kind of follow the industry. I do think there is a new transatlantic airline starting up with low fares. And I think Virgin Atlantic is doing pretty well.

omg I am so sorry this happened to you! a couple of years ago we booked tickets on airtran through priceline. what a nightmare. first off we were flying to my moms wedding from houston to florida. we got to the airport in houston and after standing in line for over an hour with a fussy infant and and bousterous 4 yo we were told our flight was canceled due to mechanical problems(wow, that was reassuring) after throwing a fit I got a manager and was told the best they could do was book us on a flight 6 hours later( we lived over an hour from the airport) going to atlanta and staying over night and then flying into florida early the next day. well the flight was delayed so at midnight we land in atlanta, we were dressed for florida weather so my babies were tired and crying because they were freezing, we were told to call the double tree shuttle upon arrival , they never showed so we were outside in the freezing cold in shorts and took tshirts out of our suitcases to wrap the kids in and a holiday inn shuttle driver took pity on us and took us to our hotel(we tipped him 20 for his trouble)and got to sleep a whole 4 hours before we had to be up to catch our flight to florida. luckily they payed for the hotel. we arrived they day of the wedding, missed the rehearsal etc. and I was maid of honor and my son ring bearer. after my complaints we recieved complimentary tickets and were able to use them for another flight but stood in line for over and hour at check in and almost missed our flight. the whole company is a train wreck. I will never fly them again. period.

AMBERGLOWW
Rhapsody of the Seas
SEPTEMBER 12, 2004
KEY WEST
COZUMEL
GRAND CAYMAN

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;09;12;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0600[/img]
until white sands, blue water and MARGARITAS AND RUM PUNCH !!!!
<MARQUEE>Who's sailing with me!!!</MARQUEE>

[url="http://messages.cruisecritic.com/2/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=927093444&f=1683059817&m=1003063257&r=875104651#875104651"]Rhapsody 9-12-04 click here[/url]

Be sure to register for the m&m!!!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by London, Canada:
Heh Lynnees, where in Ontario are you from?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi -I'm from Thorold, (10 miles from the Falls).

We usually do our flying out of Buffalo but for next week we'll be flying Air France from Toronto.

Personally, I don't think most of these majors are going to go under. That's why they've been working together and forming these alliances. United and US have been doing this for some time now. If you book on one you can find youself on the other. It isn't just for collecting airmiles that these airlines associate.

It seems to me that the lines such as Jetblue and others are great if you are going to very specific places, but they don't have that many routes. Doesn't necessarily make them the best choice. They're prices aren't much, if any, cheaper that the reg. airlines and they don't give the choices. If they have to cancel your flight you can really be in some big dog doo doo.

I think, for the most part, I'll stick to the big airlines.

Oh, one other thing about the smaller airlines and this particularly goes for the charter ones in Canada, the chairs are so close together it is the most and I mean most, uncomfortable plane ride you will ever have. To spend 6 - 8 hours with your knees around your waist (excuse the slight exageration) is horrible.

Cunard - various ships over many years
Song of America
Grandeur of the Seas
Dreamward
Infinity
Azur
Sovereign of the Seas
Serenade of the Seas

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;6;19;17;00;00&timezone=GMT+0100[/img] Til the Brilliance in the Med.!!!

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2005;1;17;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img] Nordic Empress

<center>
[img]http://img6.photobucket.com/albums/v20/lynnees/shipmar2.gif[/img] </center>
[img]http://img6.photobucket.com/albums/v20/lynnees/marship.gif[/img]

Archived