Ketchikan..How far are totem poles?

kelligirl

Our lumberjack show ends @ 9:30am and we're in port until 1. Is 3 hours enough time to get out to one of the "totem" sites and back? Would you suggest taxi and how far is it? How much does it cost? I tried a search but got lost in all the different threads :o

Thank you!!:)

We just got back from Ketchikan and rented a golf cart to get around, lots of fun and good way to get around. They rent them right near the logging show.

Hi Kruisenut... Is this something new? Sounds like a great way to get around while in Ketchikan. Do you have any more info on this? Cost, reservations, web site?

Thanks,

Ralph

Sorry I don't recall the name of the vendor but the carts were rented out of one of the gift shops close to the logging show. You can rent either enclosed or open, they hold up to 4 people and cost $40.00 per hour.

Don't forget to stop by Burger Queen for the best fish sandwich ever.

The electric carts are street legal but not sure how far out of town they would let you go, i beleive top speed is around 20 - 25 mph. If you were looking to get out of town for some hiking I would recomend a taxi.

It's not very for to the "Totem Heritage Center" and this year they are running "The complimentary downtown Shuttle Bus runs May through September, making a 20 minute circuit beginning at Berth 4." I think this bus is new this year and it leaves right from the dock.

You can check out the bus map here: http://www.borough.ketchikan.ak.us/bus/BusRoute.htm

You can get more information and walking tour maps right on the dock at the Visitors Bureau it's the big blue building and you can't miss it when you get off the ship.

You can also check out Getting Around Ketchikan:

http://www.visit-ketchikan.com/GettingHere/GettingAroundKetchikan.aspx

Hope this helps kelligirl :)!!!

Thanks Kruisenut for the info on the golf carts. I'll check them out when I get there in July. They seem to fill the bill for getting around town!!!

Ralph

There are totems all over Ketchikan, just do a board search. You do not have time for Totem Bight, Saxman is best with a tour, so to get commentary. The Totem Heritage Museum mentioned above, is about totem preservation- do NOT expect those "pretty" colorful totems. If you want those, look around town. On the dock is an eagle, Whale Park and mid entrance to Creek St. has easy to get to totems. Take the funicular up to the Fox Lodge and go out the back, very nice set of totems.

Archived