Maasdam Montreal - Norfolk Oct

nanheath

:) We did the Maasdam this past October, Montreal to Norfolk. We had a great trip. We did a btb staying on board in Norfolk to take the first Caribbean cruise of the season. There were no a/c problems until after leaving Norfolk into the great transition from cold to hot. My wife and I both agree it was a great trip and a good look at Canada and New England. We really enjoyed Maasdam.

Mike

You are welcome, glad to share info. Montrea and Quebec were unseasonably warm. Colder through Nova Scotia then really cold in Bar Harbor and Boston. Warmed up in New York and was cool but pleasant in Norfolk. From reading the boards we were expecting it to be a little cooler in Montreal and Quebec and several passengers told us it was wamer than usual. Halifax was pleasant in the morning but was cooling down by end of the day and our departure. We had rain in the Bar Harbor area but I don't remember any other rain during the cruise. We nearly froze waiting to board the USS Constitution in Boston. Any other questions go ahead and ask away.

Mike

Yes, we did the 14-day cruise from Montreal to Norfolk leaving Montreal Oct 16, 2004. At least in 2004 this was the absolute best time since the autumn foliage was at its peak all along the itinerary. There was a fair amount of cloudy cool weather, but little rain. It was sometimes a bit windy but nothing really bad - but each year has different weather of course!

In 2005, it's shortened to 11 days by cutting out (1) New London CT and (2) New York. New London doesn't have much to see but it's a very scenic approach and departure. And I guess NYC is too expensive for them, :( And they have omitted (3) a sea day between Boston and Martha's Vineyard. It turns out that the approach to Martha's Vineyard is very tricky and they go (at least our captain did) the long way around to avoid what happened to QE2 a number of years back. So, good luck in getting to Martha's Vineyard on time (I wonder if they consult with the captains when they construct itinerarys). Let's face it, the 2004 itinerary was the Canada-NE itinerary of a lifetime. But you should still have a wonderful cruise - just bring some warm clothing.

Maasdam itself is a beautiful ship, and the food was very good and the service was excellent! We had no problems with our cabin temperature or plumbing, but there were some people on Main deck who had no heat for a couple of days. And they were doing some repairs along our deck (Navigation deck), but not affecting our cabin, and nothing so bad that you could smell it in the hallway. And allow sufficient time before flying out of Norfolk since it's notorious for arrival and disembarking delays. We got there on time in 2004, but from NYC, and with good weather.

Enjoy your cruise!

Would a noon departure from Norfolk be OK? I heard the airport was close to the dock.

If we decide to do Boston on our own, is it fairly easy to get from dock to the area of Freedom Trail?

Any tips on independent tours?

Thanks for the help!

Nancy

Oops, looks like I need to change the time on the return from Norfolk. Thanks for the help! Any suggestions on tours for the trip? We are flying in to Montreal 3 days early so we can see the area.

Sure do wish the time was not so far away to sail!

If you rent a car in Montreal, you can drive north to the Laurentians and see the variation in fall colors as you go north and to higher altitiudes. From Quebec City, a very nice drive is east to Baie St. Paul, and the Ile d"Orleans.

Both cities are very nice to tour also. From the dock in Quebec, you can walk up to the Chateau Laurier, and then along a boardwalk high over the St. Lawrence.

Archived