What was your experience with currency exchange for your Baltic Cruise?

I thank everyone for the information given on this thread. After reading all the posts, I contacted my bank (BofA) and confirmed that they do charge 1% plus $5.00 for every transaction on my debit card when used internationally. The charge is greater when the card is used as a credit card. I agree; no bank should charge you to access your money! I then got to the flyerguide web site cited and looked at the various charges and fees for other banks. I ended up doing an on line chat with Capital One Bank. They have a money market account, with no fees, minimum $1.00 deposit to open, no fees to close, and an ATM card (no debit or credit card) with NO fees charged for international use. I was able to open the account on line within 10 minutes and plan to use this account for all my international travel when I need local currency from an ATM. I also have a Capital One credit card that I will take with me. With no fees, (other than those charged by non Cirrus ATMs), it seems that getting local currency and paying in cash may be worth a few dollars (or more) in savings, depending upon how much you plan to spend. I have had the Capital One Credit card for 2+ years, pay all chages with EFT from my bank account, and have never had a late fee charged. No evidence of Capital One holding payments to charge late fees. Travel safely. :)

If you use an ATM to get cash in UK then it is best to use one outside a bank or building society. They don't charge for the transaction. In shopping centres, possibly some petrol stations and maybe airports, the ATM's are run by private companies and can charge you for each transaction. BUT, they are legally obliged to tell you in advance of the charge so you can walk away if you don't like it - I have, many times & now always try to find a bank or bs.

If you are a Bank of America customer they offer currency exchange right on their website. They take the money from whichever account you choose and send the money to you by mail if it is less than $1000. More than $1000 they send it to the local branch you choose. There you jus have to sign for it. They do not charge any fee and the exchange rate was reasonable.

Wachovia (a Wells Fargo partner) also provides currency that can be ordered online for home delivery. There is a $25 minimum order for each currency, and a $200 minimum total order (plus $12 shipping and handling). The rate charged for each currency is listed after you select the the combo box for the currency you want.

https://www.wellsfargo.com/wachovia/biz/foreign_exchange

As of May 30th:

Wells Fargo rate: 1 euro (EUR) = 1.3011 U.S. dollar (USD)

OADA Interbank Rate: 1.22681

So that's 6.055% above the interbank rate. Then it would cost $12 more for shipping and handling too. And I don't need $25 worth, or much less $200 of any currency from what I'm reading on these boards.

I guess getting the minimum required from an ATM on-site is the best plan.

I read on these boards somewhere these were the ATM minimum withdrawals:

Denmark: 50 DKK

Sweden 50 SEK

Finland: 5 EUR

Russia: 500 RUB

Estonia: 100 EEK

Can anyone confirm the minimum withdraw amounts?

For what it's worth:

Bank Of America online currency order for the Euro was (May 28, 2010):

Bank of America rate: 1 euro (EUR) = 1.2995 U.S. dollar (USD)

The minimum total order is $100 U.S. dollars, and the minimum order per currency is $25 U.S. dollars

Delivery fee is $7.50 to either your Bank of America branch or your home (like Wells Fargo, you must be there to sign for it).

For what it's worth:

Bank Of America online currency order for the Euro was (May 28, 2010):

Bank of America rate: 1 euro (EUR) = 1.2995 U.S. dollar (USD)

The minimum total order is $100 U.S. dollars, and the minimum order per currency is $25 U.S. dollars

Delivery fee is $7.50 to either your Bank of America branch or your home (like Wells Fargo, you must be there to sign for it).

That rate sucks compared to what you get from an ATM......it reminds me of the story of the first America's Cup when Queen Victoria came down to the pier to await the winner when a ship came into view and she asked which of her ships that was...the answer was, "your majesty, it is the American boat." "Well," she said, "which of our boats is second?" The officer looked through his binoculars again and said, regretfully, "Your majesty, there is no second." The best way to get cash is to use an ATM...there is no second best way...all other ways stink.

• 11 months later...

I have been using capitalone cc since 2006 and have never had problem with posting payment to my account. Now I have 2 from them, one earning 2% rebate on everything. Recently there was an error posting payment to card #1 instead of card #2 it should ( it could be my mistake using bill payer.). I found out the error before due date and called capitalone. They say they will fix the problem and I will not get charged for late fee. But they made a mistake in the process and I got charged $25. When they found out their mistake, they credited me $50:D.

Archived