ATN on strike

Tattoo boy

I've just been chatting with a crewmember friend from Air France. Tonight's (Monday 14th) LAX PPT is scheduled to operate. This depends on minimum service being put in place at PPT for flights between 19H and 07H local time.

The following was recently posted on the Radio New Zealand International website

http://www.rnzi.com/pages/news.php?op=read&id=54160

The French high commissioner in French Polynesia has intervened in a protracted general strike and ordered firefighters to return to work at Tahiti’s airport.

In a statement, Adolphe Colrat says the strike stopping all international flights since last Thursday is an excessive action and poses a risk to public safety.

A handful of firefighters at the airport has been on strike as part of broader action to protest against the economic hardship.

If the firefighters return to work, flights could resume by today.

News Content © Radio New Zealand International

PO Box 123, Wellington, New Zealand

From the ATN website: (June 14th - Monday)

-----------------------------

There is a remote possibility that there will be a flight later tonight, Monday, June 14th. However if such a flight occurs, seats will be allocated to those who have been delayed since Thursday and friday, June 10 and 11th.

For passengers booked today and tomorrow, we believe the earliest departure date would be Wednesday, June 16th.

-----------------------------

If I am reading their schedule correctly, the late flight tonight would be an addition, and it makes sense to send those people first - BUT if they can fly in and out, why can't they accomodate the Tuesday passengers? Now this has really got to be frustrating for people who have tickets for Monday and Tuesday - will they keep bumping people back? or are they counting on people like Mariah that have already gone home to Phoenix so they won't be going? - and if Monday and Tuesday people can't go until Wednesday, what happens to the Wednesday people? Am I right in my understanding that ATN is a small airline with a limited number of aircraft?

Maddle

Am I right in my understanding that ATN is a small airline with a limited number of aircraft?

Yes, it is. It has 5 Airbus A340 aircraft. But keep in mind Tahiti is tiny, with only 178.000 Tahitians.

Tahiti Strike Update

Monday, 6/14/2010, 10:30AM Hawaii Time

The strike in Tahiti appears to be over, with Papeete’s airport opening shortly to international flights.

We are rescheduling our cancelled Friday (June 11) flight to Tuesday, June 15 at the same times.

Our rescheduled flight times are below.

HA1481 Honolulu-Papeete June 15 Departs 4:05pm Arrives 9:55pm

HA1482 Papeete-Honolulu June 15 Departs 11:45pm Arrives 5:30am +1

If you were booked on Friday’s flight, you may call in to our reservations department to reconfirm or you may simply show up at the airport on Tuesday for normal check-in.

While we are confident that the strike is over, please check back to this web page for any changes prior to leaving for the airport.

Looks like it is lifted although the strike isn't technically resolved. TN is starting to work through the backlog of passengers that haven't gone. AM SOO HAPPY for the travellers on the 19!!!!!!!

mariah

Greetings all. It sounds like things are looking up at last. I have been devouring every word each of you has posted since Thursday as we are to be on the 6/26 cruise celebrating our 25th anniversary. I have found the quickest & most informative news has been through searching "tahiti strike" and clicking on any info from New Zealand. They seem to ge the scoop first. This morning they were reporting that there would be 1 fight each to Japan and LA and 2 flights to France. They also reported that there would be extra flight times added to catch up the back log of stranded travelers. That seems to bode well for people booked for the June 19th sail date (good luck Potter Junk and Maddle).

If we are lucky enough to have everything work out for the 26th cruise, I'd like to buy Mtn Driver and South Seas Sue a drink to toast our good fortune!

If we are lucky enough to have everything work out for the 26th cruise, I'd like to buy Mtn Driver and South Seas Sue a drink to toast our good fortune!

You buy mine and Sue's and I'll buy for TattooBoy and AnglerGirl. (pretty generous considering drinks are included, huh?) :D

I think what we REALLY need to do is send one FedEx to Mariah!

UPDATE #14

Tuesday June 15, 2010

2:25PM PST

Air Tahiti Nui is pleased to announce the following departures from Los Angeles to Papeete for Tuesday June 15. Please continue to monitor this site for further updates.

Tuesday June 15:

• TN401Depart: LAX 02:00PM PST
    Arrive: PPT 07:20PM local time

This flight is available for the following displaced Passengers: However other passengers from June 14 & 15 who proceed to the airport may be boarded based on a space available situation. Chances are good for standby clearance.

TN07 LAX-PPT from 11 June – Coach Passengers

TN01 LAX-PPT from 12 June

TN07 LAX-PPT from 12 June

• TN411 Depart: LAX 11:30PM PST
    Arrive: PPT 04:50AM (+1) local time

This flight is only available for the following displaced Passengers:

TN111 LAX-PPT from 13 June

TN07 LAX-PPT from 13 June

Wednesday June 16:

• TN401 Depart: LAX 01:00PM PST
    Arrive: PPT 6:20PM local time

This flight will be available for passengers booked on TN01 on June 16.

• TN421 Depart: LAX 08:45PM PST
    Arrive: PPT 02:05AM (+1) local time

NORMAL SCHEDULE – Thursday, June 17th :D

Normal flight operations and schedules will commence from Thursday, June 17th.

</SPAN>

The following is flight information for flights departing from Papeete to Los Angeles. It is estimated that all stranded individuals will be accommodated on these flights. Passengers with onward connections are recommended to proceed to their connecting carrier.

Monday June 14:

• TN402 Depart: PPT 11:00PM local time
    Arrive: LAX 10:15AM (+1) PST

Tuesday June 15:

• TN408 Depart: PPT 01:30 AM local time
    Arrive: LAX 12:45 PM

• TN412 Depart: PPT 06:00AM local time
    Arrive: LAX 05:20PM PST

• TN402 Depart: PPT 10:00PM local time
    Arrive: LAX 9:15AM (+1) PST

Wednesday June 16:

• TN422 Depart: PPT 07:00AM local time
    Arrive: LAX 06:15PM PST

Things are looking up ;) The planes are flying and on schedule to be caught up within days. I remain hopeful about the next two cruise departures going smoothly. I have a little nagging concern over the port and harbor blockades. Does anyone have information regarding the movement of cargo and boats? Last I read, they still wouldn't even allow the ferry to travel between Papeete and Moorea.:( Do you suppose they would give the PG any trouble?

Thrilled to know we'll be traveling with such a generous group (we'll see you on deck 8, June 27).

I wonder if there is any chance Mariah would be able to get her trip rebooked to join us on the 26th? I suppose it would be difficult to get off work again so soon, but perhaps there is a wonderfully understanding employer in AZ wanting to be a hero. Mariah was so gracious, I am so disappointed for her.

Thanks MTN Driver for the offer of a fedexed drink.... could you make it a Vanilla Creme Brulee instead? MY SO scoured the La airport and Manhattan Beach trying to find one for me as he knew after 90 days of dieting I was dreaming of the creme brulee.

Wish I could have rebooked to 6/26 but I think that's a 10 day if I'm not mistaken....... My work would allow me to leave pretty much any time but I have a 17 year old (I'm a single mom) that I have to pawn off on someone so it takes major maneuvering to coordinate that. Also, someone that doesn't mind a 8-11 days of a teen who thinks "I'm bored" is a demand to be entertained.

I'm sure you guys will have a blast and hopefully all the leftover dregs of the strike will be gone!!!!

mariah

Archived