Confusing!

Karencruiser43

Radisson Ambassador San Juan V Hampton Inn & Suites, Isla Verde

5 day pre-cruise stay for 50 people including kids ages 8-16 years old!

Here is my dilemma! Read reviews that Condado beach near the Radisson Ambassador is nice and also NOT so nice. Is this just a strip of beach? Is it rocky as has been described?

Also read it is safe to walk around at night on Ashford Ave and also that it is NOT safe to walk around?

Hampton Inn - The beach in Isla Verde described as small area? Previous poster said not much room to walk around as hotels close to one another have to take a taxi everywhere? One poster also said no entertainment in Isa Verde area they were bored? Anybody any suggestions which hotel would be best for all these people and kids. Really appreciate any info anybody can give me to me decide. It's in my hands! Thanks everyone!

How bad is the plane noise really with the hotels in Isla verde. Different comments. Some say very loud, some say no sound at all?

Absolutely loved the San Juan Marriott. . .They had a great deal when we were there just before our Golden Princess Christmas cruise. I think it was $179 per night, but it included their full breakfast buffet for two adults. The buffet is HUGE and there is even an area where you can sit outside and look at the beautiful beach and ocean. We just loved it. There is a beautiful pool with a water slide. The little kids really seemed to enjoy it (as did my 17 year old daughter and DH!). They even had activities planned for the kids in the pool area such as face painting, water "sports," cookie decorating (it was Christmas time). There was a steel band playing Christmas carols with a caribbean flair that we just loved. The room the we got was supposedly a city view room, but when we went out on the balcony (on the 18th floor) it was on the corner of the building and we could see the city AND the beach and ocean. There were plenty of local and chain restaurants right within walking distance, as well as a Walgreens where we stocked up on those things we forgot and bottled water and caffeine-free soda.

The beach had beautiful sand, although there was a strong current with no lifeguard, so I wouldn't allow my daughter to swim out alone. The beach is monitored by hotel staff so you don't have to worry about anyone trying to sell you anything. There were plenty of beach chairs to lounge on.

I've heard comments about a loud lobby at this hotel, but did not find it loud at all. It was just great upbeat caribbean music. All of the staff made us feel safe and welcome!

Karen, I've read the same reviews and I suspect that the difference is where the poster is from. We're from the Chicago area, and accustomed to big city life. So it does not bother us to be outside in a large city at night. I did not feel threatened at all walking down Ashford Avenue at 9:00 PM. Yes, we did see a few homeless persons, but we also saw them on Sunday mornind in Old San Juan. (The one that really did bother me was totally passed out on the sidewalk near the Christopher Columbus statue, presumably from drugs. I stood there for a full 60 seconds before I saw him breathe. He was clearly no threat to my safety! He wouldn't be bothering anybody for many hours.) The beach near Radisson looked fine to me, of course, I'm used to Lake Michigan beaches and this was not too different. Just a lot warmer, of course. There were people swimming, until it started raining. You want to take common sense precautions wherever you go, but otherwise, I wouldn't hesitate with Condado.

GE MOM

Many thanks for your reply. I don't know what I would have done if I had seen the guy lying on the floor, I probably would have ran. I think I am leaning more towards the Radisson as there seems to be more going on on Ashford Avenue and I have a lot of people to satisfy. Thanks again, appreciate it!

Hi Im a Tour Bus Operator my suggestion is at isla verde ave corner of Tartak st for a greater spacious beach area, theres the tourism police headquarters around the tourist area ,The Hampton Inn is excellent noise proff , dont hear the aircrafts.

If you need tours for your group I could give you special price as a direct contact dont try the Hotel Tour desk you will not get discount from them

Best Regards

Mr. Andres Alicea

Atlantic San Juan Tours endorse by the Turism Board

P.O. BOox 215

Angeles Puerto Rico 00611

1-787-644-9841

www.puertoricoexcursions.com

20% off on Old City/ Bacardi Rum Dist. and Rain Forest Tours

Archived