Mariner of the Seas 5-16 to 5-23 review

I will start with a few comments and then add more with photos later. Overall a very nice cruise. No matter what the situation we always make the best of things. We take the Jamican attitude of no worries.

We flew in the day before from St. Louis to LAX on southwest non stop. No issues and no delays. Took super shuttle to doubletree san pedro $85. Regular taxi from ship to LAX on return was $50. We had five people. Myself, DW, DD, DS, daughter's boyfriend.

Doubletree San Pedro is very nice. Took free shuttle for dinner to The Green Onion for $55 not including drinks. Mexican food is very good. Had complimentary breakfast day of cruise then free shuttle to ship. Painless and convenient.

Embarkation- the easiest i have had in 14 cruises. arrived at 1:00 and were standing in our room by 1:25. Awesome job. very organized.

The weather in LA was very cool so sailaway poolside was ten to fifteen minutes. Just too cold and windy. We went inside and went to dragon's lair for wine and champagne being diamond. Dragon's lair is not a good place for this event. Nothing going on and very few people. We only went two or three nights.

I will pick up later with photos.

I will start with a few comments and then add more with photos later. Overall a very nice cruise. No matter what the situation we always make the best of things. We take the Jamican attitude of no worries.

We flew in the day before from St. Louis to LAX on southwest non stop. No issues and no delays. Took super shuttle to doubletree san pedro $85. Regular taxi from ship to LAX on return was $50. We had five people. Myself, DW, DD, DS, daughter's boyfriend.

Doubletree San Pedro is very nice. Took free shuttle for dinner to The Green Onion for $55 not including drinks. Mexican food is very good. Had complimentary breakfast day of cruise then free shuttle to ship. Painless and convenient.

Embarkation- the easiest i have had in 14 cruises. arrived at 1:00 and were standing in our room by 1:25. Awesome job. very organized.

The weather in LA was very cool so sailaway poolside was ten to fifteen minutes. Just too cold and windy. We went inside and went to dragon's lair for wine and champagne being diamond. Dragon's lair is not a good place for this event. Nothing going on and very few people. We only went two or three nights.

I will pick up later with photos.

I agree with you there.....On the week before yours....being D+...there were only 30 of us, Alan said there was only 18 D+ on your Cruise.....

Please tell us about the COUGER Convention if there was one?

Looking forward to more and pictures.

Thanks

Mike

I agree with you there.....On the week before yours....being D+...there were only 30 of us, Alan said there was only 18 D+ on your Cruise.....

Please tell us about the COUGER Convention if there was one?

Looking forward to more and pictures.

Thanks

Mike

Cougar convention was present. Some told my DD they were called the "Just say no club." Not sure if I can post some of the pictures I took.

Can't wait to see the pictures. I'll be sailing Mariner 06/27/10.

Can't wait.

I hear nothing but good things.

How was the food?

i will admit the food is not what it used to be on cruises, but the prices have also come way down. Windjammer for breakfast would make us omelettes which were very good. WJ lunch for me would be a huge salad with lots of good stuff. DR was better on some nights than others but always have items i enjoyed.

Was on the same cruise and had a terrific time! Always do, though!

We drove down and stayed the night before at the San Pedro Doubletree. Very nice. Had a great dinner at the 22nd Street Grill (I think that was the name) Shuttle to and from the ship worked perfectly. Great fresh, warm chocolate chip cookies!!!!

The first night on ship we did the Mystery Dinner in Portofinos - was great & the food was wonderful. Very well organized & lots of fun. We had eaten at Portofinos on the Navigator last year and were disappointed - this experience on the Mariner was so impressive that we returned on Saturday night for DH Birthday dinner - they outdid themselves!

We also did a night at Chops - delicious as always. We have learned to eat a very light lunch the day of Chops - otherwise there is lots of "overstuffed" pain later to deal with:D:eek:

All of the staff we encountered (with the exception of one in the Champagne Bar) were stellar! Especially Carvin & Zelfa in Ellingtons, Mahesh & Orhan in the MDR and Goran at Poolside. Were very impressed that any staff encountered during the whole cruise would smile & ask how we were. We had MTD and were given the same table and staff each night we were there. We had to wait a little bit beyond our normal time on the second formal night (with Prime Rib & Lobster, folks were understandably taking a bit longer to enjoy the dinner) and they just kept apologizing - very unneccessary!!!:)

Food was good - we enjoyed everything - but we are always just glad to have someone else cook too!

Quest was hysterical as always - had a few folks around us that had never seen it before and they were almost as fun to watch:p

Only disappointment was the M&M. We have been to ones before that the cruisers introduced themselves and attempts were made to chat to others outside of their own groups. Although Mariner staff made it very nice, my suggestion would be for the Emcee to go around the room and get everyone involved. It was held in Ellingtons and it was obvious that there were folks there that had not signed up & were not sure what was going on. Our experience has also been that the M&M has been held in a room that was specifically for this purpose.

Our room was nice - were in 9312, which was connected to a JS. Had very nice neighbors that we met at Muster. Never heard them through the door at all. Our Cabin Steward was very good & no issues at all.

Beautiful ship!!!

Your trip sounds like ours the week before.....NO CRUISE is a BAD CRUISE!

We also did Portifino and Chops....Both are great and I just love those Roasted Potatoes in Chops....I could make dinner just with them. M + M is always tough. I agree the meeting should be in a special room for CC folks. It would always be nice to let everyone to introduce themselves. Other then that....The ship and Staff were exceptional....I am ready to go again....:)

Mike

Thanks for the review of the Mariner. I am taking this cruise on October 31st aka the boo cruise. I think its going to be a lot of fun and I am really looking forward to it. I appreate the info thanks :).

Adri

Archived