Help me convince my mother to get off of the ship!!

Ok, here's the deal--I have been to Progresso 3 times (Merida once) and I really like it. I will be traveling with my mother who has OA in one knee and has had a TKR on the other. She has decided that she does not want to even get off on the ship this day. I would love for her to experience some of the history of the area, but I know that she will not be able to walk around much without pain.

I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks guys!!

DixiesMom. Since you've been to Merida once, you're aware of the many plazas/parks with plenty of benches for people to rest/relax and people watch. However, if she needs a wheelchair or walker, many of the sidewalks are more narrow than here in the US and that might be a problem. I'm not familiar with the terms OA and TKR. Myself, I have an artificial hip and have had two heart bypasses and don't hesitate at all going to Merida. Plus, I'm seventy-one and travel alone sometimes. In fact will spend the day in Merida, alone, in August while sailing on Elation.

H, you are my hero, I have read and taken much of your advice over the last couple of years.

OA= osteoarthritis TKR=total knee replacement

Both of these coupled with a lack of desire on her part is the issue I am up against. I will not force her to do anything; however, I woul love for her to discover what I adore about this port, the "hometown" feeling that I get from the residents and the sense of history form the buildings in Merida.

Cozumel has lots to do and is a beautiful area, but I can drive to Florida and have a very similar experience.

I guess I am just looking for something that might change her mind about the "ugly little town in 100 degree weather."

• 3 weeks later...

I don't want to Dr Phil you here but ...

It is hard to convince others of whatever is your passion and that can be frustrating. I say leave her on the ship and enjoy yourself - life is short - and you can't make others feel as you do. Ultimately, you are not responsible for her.

Happy planning! :)

• 4 weeks later...

HDawson or anyone with suggestions....I have been both to Progresso & Merida several times and have always found interesting things to do. However, my sister & Hubby are going to take their first cruise in Nov and she has mobility problems. Hip replacement & osteoarthrits...I don' think she will require a wheelchair as she does well with a walker (for short distances) and hopefully by that time a cane. My question is this...I don't remember how we could get her from the ship to the free bus into town..Would we be able to get a wheelchair from the ship or should we take our own. I think that when we get to town she could get to the $3 bus for a short tour around town. I think we have ruled out any ruins because of her mobility problems...lots of walking & stairs at the ruins...so it may be that our only choices will be the town itself and the little tour around town. Lunch & then back to the ship...If there are any suggestions please suggest...

You'll have to search on the CC boards for more information if you are interested, but there is a "locals" market just a few blocks from the bus stop (go the exact opposite of the way you would go to hit the beach) It was neat to see the meat and produce vendors as well as some of the prepared food stands. I will say it was neat to see, but I would not try to eat at these. We enjoyed seeing this and really appreciate our grocery stores and refigerated meat cases a little more after seeing it. This is also a great place to get a massage on the beach if you like that, DH got an hour for $20.

I can't remember if Progresso has those little bicycle carts like Cozumel does or not? If they do, that would eleviate a fair amount of walking for both of these ladies.

Good Luck!

Archived