kid-friendly attractions near the caves?

Pikaia

I'll be traveling to Bermuda with my husband, and two kids: 6.5 and 4 years old.

I suspect the caves are beyond the ability of the 4 year old, so I'm not planning to take her in. My 6.5 year old swears up and down that she wants to visit the caves, but I'd like a backup plan in case she gets there and changes her mind about the amount of climbing and/or anxiety regarding the unknowns within. (The last cave I took her in was a bit of a challenge, the kind you have to army crawl to get through, and on top of that, rain water was dripping in. :p)

Is there something nearby that would be a good backup plan and/or a good place for a parent and 4 year old to hang out? Originally I was thinking I'd take the younger one to the zoo while my husband took our older one to the caves, but now I'm thinking we should all make time to see BAMZ.

Hi...have been to the caves..there is no crawling or such, just a bunch of stairs..my dh and I went into one of the caves because there was a school group waiting to go in. I don't think it was hard at all..just up and down narrow stairs and very interesting...I think they'd enjoy it..it's very neat inside. I have also been to the zoo and aquarium..you get in both for one pretty reasonable price. Again my dh and I loved the zoo and aquarium. Have fun:D

Oh yes, I know there shouldn't be anything too physically demanding or scary for a 6 year old. But 6 year olds are not the most rational beings, and she might not believe us. (After that last cave, I'm not sure I'd blame her. :p)

My younger daughter is a trouper, and will walk for hours. But she is only 4. I doubt she'd be thrilled with 88 cement steps down and 88 cement steps up, especially if they're damp. And I wouldn't be thrilled if I had to carry her. So I'd just as soon not attempt it, for all our sakes. However, if others have successfully taken 4 year olds into the caves, I'd love to hear about it!

I'm just looking for nearby alternatives. As a parent of young ones, I find that backup plans and flexibility (and a sense of humor!) are essential!

BAMZ doesn't look all that close, but I find it hard to guesstimate travel time, as I've never been to Bermuda before....

To enter the Fantasy Cave, you most first descent 88 stairs. The cave is mostly open and well lit. When I visited in October, it was hot, humid and damp and that was in the cave.

I'm not aware of any activities within walking distance of the caves. The waiting area for the Fantasy Cave is shaded. Or you could walk over to the Swizzle Inn about a 5 minute away and have a Rum Swizzle for you :D and a coke for your son or daughter. Order a plate of conch fritters and eat and drink slowly.

SBtS

Archived