San Diego Train Station

Jackiealu

Has anyone ever used the Train to get to San Diego for a Cruise? I do not think they are far apart, would it be walking distance from the train station to the cruise port, or would a taxi be required (assuming we have luggage). I was just thinking this might be cheaper than paying for 7 days of parking. Anyone know of best San Diego port parking??

Thanks for the help.

Jackie

I have taken the train several times to San Diego. The train depot is about 2 blocks from the cruise port. You can see the ship from the depot. Between the depot and port there is a safe parking lot for cars. My luggage has roller wheels and I have walked each time.

If you travel light, then those 2 blocks are easy to walk, but if you have a lot of luggage you may want to take a cab, or plan to make a couple of trips from the station to the ship with your luggage. Depending on which station you plan to take the train from, there may or may not be luggage checking on the train. If you are getting on at a station that does not offer luggage checking you will have to lug it on and off the train yourself.

As far as parking in San Diego, prices in local airport/cruise ship lots range from $10/day and up, with the prices generally more the closer you are to the port (or for inside parking). Here are a couple of resources to check out:

http://www.longtermparking.com/california.htm#SDA

http://www.sandiegocruiseport.com/san-diego-cruise-tips.html

If you pack light, you can walk from the train station to the cruise ship terminal. If you are packing a little heavier, check the Pacific Surfliner schedule for trains that take checked baggage.

Overall, it sounds like a great idea as it is a lot less hectic than traffic :D.

OP- You can park in the parking structure at the Irvine station. Just be sure to register your vehicle with security if you will park over the 72h limit.

It's a 10-minute, 2 block walk to the dock from the station if you are mobile with your luggage. There are pedicabs if you don't want to walk.

A picture's worth 1000 words (click on the pic to enlarge)

IMG_1852.jpg.085839e7e5049a22aa858816ccacd158.jpg

Archived