Seven wonderful days at Sea - Victory 5/23-30

kirchubel

What's the EC dollar to US dollar rate? I saw those prices :eek: and thought HOLY CALAMARI!!!

The United States currency price for the Seafood Lasagna is $11.11 and the Cheesy dip and Chips would be $3.70 in our money.....very good prices! Basically its .37 cents to their dollar!

The United States currency price for the Seafood Lasagna is $11.11 and the Cheesy dip and Chips would be $3.70 in our money.....very good prices! Basically its .37 cents to their dollar!

Right! Remember to check for the EC $$ notation on the menus, otherwise you will pass up some terrific deals. We had my yummy island drink for $4 EC -- about $1.60! Our friend had gone up to the restaurant initially and thought the prices were in US $$. I couldn't believe we'd have to pay $15for a sandwich on the island, so I went up and checked, and realized it was EC dollars - so I sent my son back to tell her and she came back and joined us for lunch. I had the lamb roti and it turned out to be about $5.75 - a terrific price for the amazing amount of food. I couldn't eat it all...it was huge - the plate you see is a normal dinner plate size, not some puny little plate.

Excellent review and great pictures Kirchubel. Do you remember if there were chairs to rent at Pigeon Island? Did you see anyone snorkeling there? I think I read somewhere you could hike up to a small fort...did you happen to see that? Any info is greatly appreciated.

The $5 fee to enter Pigeon Island covers the cost of chairs and you can either bring your own snorkeling equipment or rent it from the vendors on the beach. I believe my sons planned to rent some gear and said it was $15, but they ended up doing other stuff on their own. There are also kayaks to rent if you like.

We did not hike to the top of the hill where the fort is because I was all about the water. But from my understanding, it is one of the best views on the island, and you can see Rodney Bay and other islands across the way as well.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm sorry it has taken me so long to finish this. I just wanted to finally put this to rest. We had a death in the family, and it's been crazy around here. But since St Kitts was our favorite island I wanted to let everyone know what we did there.

First off, we booked, at the last minute [i mean, two days before] a kayaking trip with The Tour Store. We'd had a problem with our privately-booked ATV tour on Dominica so we decided not to do that, and instead we came back to the ship and went online to find something fun to do on St. Kitt's. What a great time we had! For $75 each, our guide took us on a 45 minute bus ride to the south of the island, adjacent to the Great Salt Pond and near White House Bay. There, we were greeted by some very pleasant snorkeling/kayaking experts. We were given a safety briefing and equipment and we were allowed to snorkel for about 45 minutes. Since we were the only ones in the area, the fish were not scared away. It was gorgeous - we saw so many cool species, including clown fish, which are one of my favorites.

After snorkeling, we were introduced to ocean kayaking. We paired up and were given instructions and then went on a beautiful and energizing kayaking trip for about an hour. We just kayaked north along the coast - two per kayak - accompanied by a guide on a kayak and a 30 foot boat shadowed us in case of emergency. It was so much fun! My son and I had a blast trying to beat the rest of the family and our friends, and had we not been dunked by a wave on our way in we would have beat them all. LOL. The water was warm and clear and though it was not like kayaking on the river, I really enjoyed myself. What a workout, too!

We pulled up on the beach and another of the guides had driven our gear from point A to point B. He'd also brought a fantastic load of food for us to eat. We were starving. Most of it was island specialties, including star apple, nuts and a fantastic breadroll that we all chowed down on. This was a fantastic tour for $75. We were out for about five hours. I would highly recommend the Tour Store for anyone wanting to have a unique, crowd-free and interesting experience on St. Kitts.

Next up: St Maartan

View of where the Caribbean meets the Atlantic on St Kitts

scan0009.jpg

Kayaking gear at the beach where we started

scan0013.jpg

Kayaking gear at the beach where we ended up. There was a little shelter where we were served our snack.

scan0014.jpg

The feast they served us - home made delicious stuff! Oranges, star pineapple, caribbean sweet bread...we chowed down.

scan0017.jpg

my sympathies re the death in your family. I hope things are a little calmer for you now

I am really enjoying your report. When we were in St Lucia, it rained the entire day. My goal was to snorkel at the base of the pitons, but by the time we got there it was actually cold and windy..oh well maybe next time.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm sorry it has taken me so long to finish this. I just wanted to finally put this to rest. We had a death in the family, and it's been crazy around here. But since St Kitts was our favorite island I wanted to let everyone know what we did there.

First off, we booked, at the last minute [i mean, two days before] a kayaking trip with The Tour Store. We'd had a problem with our privately-booked ATV tour on Dominica so we decided not to do that, and instead we came back to the ship and went online to find something fun to do on St. Kitt's. What a great time we had! For $75 each, our guide took us on a 45 minute bus ride to the south of the island, adjacent to the Great Salt Pond and near White House Bay. There, we were greeted by some very pleasant snorkeling/kayaking experts. We were given a safety briefing and equipment and we were allowed to snorkel for about 45 minutes. Since we were the only ones in the area, the fish were not scared away. It was gorgeous - we saw so many cool species, including clown fish, which are one of my favorites.

After snorkeling, we were introduced to ocean kayaking. We paired up and were given instructions and then went on a beautiful and energizing kayaking trip for about an hour. We just kayaked north along the coast - two per kayak - accompanied by a guide on a kayak and a 30 foot boat shadowed us in case of emergency. It was so much fun! My son and I had a blast trying to beat the rest of the family and our friends, and had we not been dunked by a wave on our way in we would have beat them all. LOL. The water was warm and clear and though it was not like kayaking on the river, I really enjoyed myself. What a workout, too!

We pulled up on the beach and another of the guides had driven our gear from point A to point B. He'd also brought a fantastic load of food for us to eat. We were starving. Most of it was island specialties, including star apple, nuts and a fantastic breadroll that we all chowed down on. This was a fantastic tour for $75. We were out for about five hours. I would highly recommend the Tour Store for anyone wanting to have a unique, crowd-free and interesting experience on St. Kitts.

Next up: St Maartan

View of where the Caribbean meets the Atlantic on St Kitts

scan0009.jpg

Kayaking gear at the beach where we started

scan0013.jpg

Kayaking gear at the beach where we ended up. There was a little shelter where we were served our snack.

scan0014.jpg

The feast they served us - home made delicious stuff! Oranges, star pineapple, caribbean sweet bread...we chowed down.

scan0017.jpg

`

Just looking at this made me hungry:D

Archived