Curious About Turn Around Time...

jwoap

Since I am a green horn when it comes to the cruising world these are the questions that keep me up at night.

(now don't be rollin your eyes at me, I am sure you all had weirder questions when ya'll were cruisin babys! - ha ha)

Okay, so I know when a jet rolls into an airport and they disembark passengers, the plane crews roll in and do a really fast restock, and clean of the plane.

When I embark upon the Star on the 21st of August will the Star be disembarking passengers the night before? And if so how do they manage to load and unload passengers, clean all those rooms, restock, refuel etc...

I hope I don't drive you all nuts with all my questions:):D

Hey - I think this is a good question! How the crew manages to get the ships turned around week after week is truly amazing. Your ship will dock early in the morning with passengers off by mid-morning. Then, within 2-3 hours the entire ship will be turned over, cleaned and prepared for your arrival. If you get on early in the day you might run into crew still finishing up cleaning in some of the common areas but for the most part, you would never know that thousands of guests had just left. It is also amazing to watch over the balcony from any floor all of the deliveries and service vehicles picking up and dropping off supplies to the ship all day as food and supplies are readied for the next week.

Enjoy your trip!

Since I am a green horn when it comes to the cruising world these are the questions that keep me up at night.

(now don't be rollin your eyes at me, I am sure you all had weirder questions when ya'll were cruisin babys! - ha ha)

Okay, so I know when a jet rolls into an airport and they disembark passengers, the plane crews roll in and do a really fast restock, and clean of the plane.

When I embark upon the Star on the 21st of August will the Star be disembarking passengers the night before? And if so how do they manage to load and unload passengers, clean all those rooms, restock, refuel etc...

They won't disembark passengers the night before. They disembark the same day you embark. They get into port between 6 and 7am usually, and they have the supplies delivered and loaded while the passengers are coming and going. The rooms are cleaned when the passengers vacate them, and will be ready for the new people around 2 or 2:30pm. When you board, they will direct you to the buffet on deck 12, or you can get lunch at the Versailles restaurant. You can also ask where to drop off your carry-on luggage, and can pick it up when the rooms are ready. Your checked luggage will be delivered to your room sometime in the afternoon.

The fuel barge will be alongside pretty early in the morning and refueling takes place during the same time period the other stuff is going on.

The area around the ship is a beehive of activity, and if you board early, you can see the trucks and baggage handlers as well as the fuel barge all doing their thing to prepare for a 4 or 5pm departure.

Your questions are not "dumb". We all have questions that can be asked on these boards.

Actually, the passengers get off a couple of hours before you board. All of the ship is continuously cleaned and the bars, restaurants are restocked from ships stores all day long. When the passengers depart, the rooms are stripped, cleaned and remade and they are all done by about 2 PM, when you are allowed to go into them. Garbage is off loaded from the ship and new supplies loaded and put into ships storage all day long. All of this is pretty invisible to the passengers, but it works.

Al

Thank you thank you! I was wondering how that all worked. The only ship I have been on is a cruise missle destroyer (USS Richmond K Turner CG - 20) and a big boomer submarine. I coasted up and down the coast of South Carolina and Georgia on family days. It was kinda cool. I saw how much food they load for those folks who are going to on Med cruises it was staggering.

I am so excited I can't stand it. This is worse than waiting for Christmas as a kid!

Thank you thank you! I was wondering how that all worked. The only ship I have been on is a cruise missle destroyer (USS Richmond K Turner CG - 20) and a big boomer submarine. I coasted up and down the coast of South Carolina and Georgia on family days. It was kinda cool. I saw how much food they load for those folks who are going to on Med cruises it was staggering.

I am so excited I can't stand it. This is worse than waiting for Christmas as a kid!

If you haven't done it, go to the roll call board for the Star 8/21. Only one person is signed up and is begging for company !!

Watch this video. It is so cool. It shows what happens behind the scenes to get ready for the next cruise.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/15840232?video=1139954767&play=1

Archived