Amtrak station in Vancouver to Canada Place

luckydogs1

I know this may seem like it is in a bit of advance. We are planning in July of 2015 to take the Amtrack train to Vancouver the day prior to RC NB Alaska. At this point, I'm thinking of either the Hilton Airport or Metro. Some are flying directly from MSP to YVR. My thought is taking Skytrain to hotel, but need directions. If this is not do-able, what other plan should I figure out.

Sounds like I can then get on SkyTrain the next day to get to the terminal. Please point me in the right direction. We will be a group of 9 ranging in age from 42 - 98 years old.

Thanks for your help.

Looking forward to a great cruise will have 5 virgin cruisers as well as celebrating a 50th anniversary and the 98th birthday. I need this one to be perfect!

I know this may seem like it is in a bit of advance. We are planning in July of 2015 to take the Amtrack train to Vancouver the day prior to RC NB Alaska. At this point, I'm thinking of either the Hilton Airport or Metro. Some are flying directly from MSP to YVR. My thought is taking Skytrain to hotel, but need directions. If this is not do-able, what other plan should I figure out.

Just be aware that the Hilton Metrotown is in Burnaby. It'll be a 1 change of train if taking the skytrain there. The Airport Hilton is in Richmond and there's a hotel shuttle there (IIRC). Not too far away from the skytrain (10 minute walk? - or you can shuttle back to the airport).

Not sure how robust your 98 y.o. is but it'll be a bit of a walk for Metrotown (5 minutes for a very fit and young person but longer for those who are not).

Both are in zone two and if going into Vancouver (zone 1) on weekday daytime, there's a 2 zone fare which is $4 or so.

Sounds like I can then get on SkyTrain the next day to get to the terminal. Please point me in the right direction. We will be a group of 9 ranging in age from 42 - 98 years old.

Thanks for your help.

Looking forward to a great cruise will have 5 virgin cruisers as well as celebrating a 50th anniversary and the 98th birthday. I need this one to be perfect!

First, thanks for replying to this and bringing it back to the top 'roach - totally missed the revival of the thread. Slight corrections to your Skytrain info though: in 2015 the 'train to main' shuttle will be irrelevant; at least some of the party will only need a Senior fare for $2.75 or $1.75 Offpeak; Skytrain from airport will cost $5 more than from Metrotown due to the Addfare avoidance loophole closing when Compass tickets kick in this year.

Second - kapteach, some clarification please. The folks flying directly from MSP to YVR - are they also arriving the day before, and if so staying in the same hotel as you? If they're not, I guess the info from 'roach about hotel location/walkability becomes redundant...

Also for Kapteach - since you've only mentioned Hilton hotels I assume you're either traveling on points or want to earn points/status. Don't forget the Hampton Inn downtown. It's a category higher for points than Metrotown Hilton, but with free brekky, shuttle, and virtually all of downtown walkable instead of needing transit/cab it could work out cheaper in total spend.

Either Hilton to the pier on Skytrain involves no transfers - just head for the terminus station, Waterfront, whether you're on the Canada Line from Richmond or the Expo/Millennium Line from Burnaby. NB: if you do stay at the airport, ask the hotel shuttle to drop you at Skytrain, not at YVR - Lansdowne station is a) much nearer, and b) will not levy the $5 per person AddFare that tickets at the airport will have.

Walking from Waterfront to Canada Place involves very slightly different directions depending which line you're using (therefore which platform you arrive on) but is basically a three block walk on flat streets with good signage.

If you were at the Hampton, take their free shuttle or walk (a mile, a little uphill on average, good sidewalks).