Christmas Cruise

Hi, I'm thinking about booking on the Christmas Canaries cruise on the Black Watch this year and just wondered if anyone could tell me what they're like? What happens on Christmas Day, New Years Eve? What are the islands like, is there much to visit independently, and how warm will it be?

We've sailed on BW before and love her and her crew. We'd be travelling with our 7yo son, we all visited P&Os Ventura on Saturday, the complete consensus was that we were better off on BW. We don't look for, and our son doesn't need a 'family-friendly' cruise ship.

Any information, tips and thoughts greatly appreciated.

I have been on two Fred. Olsen Christmas and New Year cruises, the most recent last year on the "Balmoral". I am sure things will be the same on all their ships. It was a really traditional Christmas. On the 24th there was carol singing and at midnight a Watchnight service. On the 25th again there was a church service followed by a visit from Santa Claus with gifts for all the children. There were all sorts of fun and games across the ship. Add to this a splendid lunch and dinner. The ship was decorated with trees and the normal tinsel. It made for a very happy day. The children seemed to behaving a ball!! New Year was great too. On Hogmaney there was a splendid banquet. This was followed by a good show and then most went on deck. We were berthed in Tenerife and Fred. Olsen laid on an impressive fireworks display at midnight which was followed by a deck party which went on until the early hours.

I can recommend this holiday as fun not only for the children but the adults too.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there

We can confirm what has been posted. We have enjoyed two Christmas Cruises on the Black Watch, and both are as reported.

We are having a change this year and going on the Balmoral instead.

Hope you will enjoy Christmas at sea

:)

Archived