Lava Flowing In Hawaii!!

Sheannb

We are booked on Island Princess 3/5/05 cruise & just heard there is lava flowing in Volcanos National Park!!

Saw this on CNN Headline news and found this picture & story http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6908076/

Hopefully we are all lucky and fortunate enough to see this! We are renting a car and going there!

If there are others planning a trip to Volcanos National Park here is a great website-

http://www.nps.gov/havo/

Don't get your hopes up about seeing lava if you drive up there. It is a very long walk over older lava flows to get to it and even then you may not see it if they have the trail blocked off because it's too dangerous to go futher. You can take a helicopter tour from Hilo airport to see it, or, check with the Island Princess and see if they cruise by the lava flow, especially at night. The Pride of Aloha does at ten PM and it is spectacular. Driving up to the park is worth it, however, if you've never been there. Very educational and scenic. The lava started erupting from a new vent away from the old crader in 1983 and has covered a lot of new ground plus distroyed a couple of towns since that time.

I'm on the Pride of Aloha 3/6/05 sailing and spending the day at Volcanoes National Park when we're at Hilo, so I'm really hoping to see some live lava flow that day. The ship also cruises by at night so hoping to see it then, too! Only 29 more days until I leave!!

I was on the POA last week and when we sailed by the lava flow at night the hillside was aglow with orange! The next morning as we were preparing to get on a tender to Kona, I overheard the captain telling a fellow passenger that it was the most lava he had seen in a nightly passing since the POA had started sailing around Hawaii.

Archived