excursion/lunch/HAL

westlab

Any diabetic NEEDS to be totally reponsible for themselves. They need to have their own supply of food needed in triple the amounts they think they'll need. (how do they handle this elsewhere?)

There are glucose drinks- small, at phamacies to also consider getting.

Remember that you cannot take food off the ship unless it is the commercially packaged stuff like granola bars.

No sandwiches, no fresh fruit, not crackers (unless pre-packaged) and no luncheon meats.

You will see people loading up Zip-loc bags off the breakfast buffets to take along on shore tours, but they won't get out of the dining room with them. Ships' staffs are well trained.

There is no food or drink for sale at Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau.

Glad to help out.

My late Dad always said that lunch meats especially bacon attract bears.

I always have some sort of bar/trail munch/packaged mix in my backpack. No problem with the commercially made items.

You can take boxed juices, canned or bottled soda and bottled water off the ship in Alaskan ports.

Hi, my guy gets cranky if he goes too long without food. I always have the packaged "tube" nuts in the backpack. Salted or honey roast peanuts, or cashews. Good for everyone and adds variety to the granola choices. Another camping/snowboarding trick is to freeze the pouch drinks(some 100% juice brands are available now) and use as ice packs for your other items like string cheese and Happy Cow. Better than blue ice cause you get to drink them later in the day. If you're impatient you have a nice slushy.

Oh yes, I am like your guy.. I get cranky when I am hungry. Keep the ideas for food to carry on excursions coming. I cannot eat many nuts, but I can eat granola. Are there small markets near the ports of Juneau, Skagway and Ketchikan, where one can purchase things like string cheese or juice boxes?

Archived